where to buy alternator / what kind

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chasing_Size

where to buy alternator / what kind

Post by Chasing_Size »

Okay, I'm looking to buy a new battery and alternator, any suggestions on what kind of alternator? I have a KL03, i want something to bolt on, with no problems, use existing plugs and have fairly high output, I also wanna know whats a good kind of battery to buy?? any help appreciated, thanks so much.
1992 Mazda mx3 gs / 03 / ms8 intake manifold / klze 67mm bored TB/ Custom CAI / 2.5 Custom exhaust / Drift kit front and sides/ CF Invader hood / 17'' MSR gunmetals with chrome lip / Tockico Blues / Suspension technique springs / Leather interrior/ B&M SS / Fully customized interrior (Red and black) / Corvette Red 00 Paint w/ white,blue,gold pearl / Shaved altezzas w/ black trim/ Front rear strut bars / ze ecu ( I think that's all )
Talon_66

Re: where to buy alternator / what kind

Post by Talon_66 »

Buy a High Output replacement Alternator for an MX-6 or Probe GT.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Jsut have your stock alternator rebuilt at a reputable shop. The one by my work did an employees alternator. In 4 hours, they sandblasted the whole casing, disassembled it, new brushes and voltage regulator. $65 out the door.

As for batteries, look at Interstate. Very duranble and reliable.
Chasing_Size

Post by Chasing_Size »

How much could a brand new alternator be? Plus I was wanting to go with something a little more high output
1992 Mazda mx3 gs / 03 / ms8 intake manifold / klze 67mm bored TB/ Custom CAI / 2.5 Custom exhaust / Drift kit front and sides/ CF Invader hood / 17'' MSR gunmetals with chrome lip / Tockico Blues / Suspension technique springs / Leather interrior/ B&M SS / Fully customized interrior (Red and black) / Corvette Red 00 Paint w/ white,blue,gold pearl / Shaved altezzas w/ black trim/ Front rear strut bars / ze ecu ( I think that's all )
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Chasing_Size:
How much could a brand new alternator be? Plus I was wanting to go with something a little more high output
You could always have the alternator rebuilder rewrap the alternator windings for more power. Typically, you'll sacrifice idle output for more high RPM output when you do that though.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

when i got my mx-3 the alternator and the battery were dead. i got a motomaster battery from canadian tire, only $80 and they give you $5 if you bring in the old battery. and the alternator i had rebuild from a local shop for $75.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you want more output then you need to do the Millinia alt. swap it is 120amp, the one you have now is 90amp. All you have to do is search for the post, it gives good instructions on how to do it. Some rewiring is needed, but simple. You also have to get the mounting bracket for the alt. so it'll fit. If you don't want to do that then some rebuild shops can get more power, but at the aforementioned cost of RPM. The only way to get the same alt to give more power is to change the winding or spin it faster. As for the battery I suggest doing a battery relocation to the trunk. The gell cell battery is about 120.00 and the box and wiring kit you can get from JC Whitney for about 60 USD. As for brands just get one from a good dealer, eg. Auto Zone, NAPA, HI-FI buys, radio shop etc.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”