need confirmation

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJester187

need confirmation

Post by DJester187 »

I tries to do a search for a definate answer on my own only to come up with conflicting answers. So, (i apologize i do not have pictures) the engine that i swapped in, under the vanve cover has the kl01 stamped on the cams, but also had the "V-6 24 valve" stamp on it in english, as well as "mazda" up above it. It also sports a curved neck mani. with my vague description can anyone confirm which type kl engine i got? thanks.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
Tempus

Re: need confirmation

Post by Tempus »

{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

yeah, the engine came with no egr, but a place for the egr to be bolted. the manifold says kl86, or kl68 i think, if that helps. any ideas? or ways to solidify the kl type?
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

What's on the heads? that's the definitive number to look for, according to the FAQ..

or post pictures, other folks might be able to tell you from them..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I cant find anything on my heads except for KL somewhere on the block with a buncha numbers under it....
what kind of car IS that?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The v-6 24 valve and mazda are on the manifold? If it is a curved neck manifold there isnt any place for it to be writtin on it.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you probably got a j-spec millenia engine..kl01 cams kl stamped on block curve neck manifold and no egr..looks like a ZE to me...about the mazda 24 valves written on it..it must be on the valve cover
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

yeah blue is right, it is stamped on the valve cover. i think i said that in my original post. i am like 95% sure it was from a millenia, based on shematics and wiring and such. so then it is a ZE?!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yup
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

awesome, thanks. now this would be the 197, or the 175 hp? i read on a post the curved neck ze's are lower compression or something giving it only 175. is this true or am i @ 195hp?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hrmmm..I guess it depends on the year of your ze..not sure if the 175hp ze had kl01 cams..We don't have much info on it...sorry bud can't help you with that...I know it exists but never heard of a person who got the 175hp ze..or didn't know about it :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by DJester187:
awesome, thanks. now this would be the 197, or the 175 hp? i read on a post the curved neck ze's are lower compression or something giving it only 175. is this true or am i @ 195hp?
Not entirely true - it applies to later (don't know from when) curved neck ZEs, not early ones. I think it dates from a more stringent emissions policy in Japan, to which Mazda responded by de-tuning the engine a little.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

ok, so besides getting it dynoed is there anything i can look for/check/do to get a better idea of which hp model it is?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The only definate way to check is to look on the head or have it dynoed. I'm not usre if the old and new ZEs have the same head code though.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

ok...so does anyone know the the codes for the 175hp, and 195hp ZE? or is there any other way to identify them (outside of getting it dynoed of course)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”