K8 ATX burning oil...help?/Gass guzzeller

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
seneca

K8 ATX burning oil...help?/Gass guzzeller

Post by seneca »

Hey,
My '93 GS ATX seems to be burning some oil. Has anyone else had this problem with their's? She only has 87000km put on (Just hit it this weekend). Also, I might as well add that there seems to be either #1 a small gas leak or #2 somethng wrong w/ the engine. I seem to go thru quite a bit of gas (even with reasonable driving :roll: ) What could cause this to happen? Poor gas consumption these days realllly hurts!

Thx,

Tyson

<small>[ July 11, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: seneca ]</small>
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
hgallegos915

Re: K8 ATX burning oil...help?/Gass guzzeller

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well...If you think your engine is to young to have worn piston rings, its a good idea to look at the valve seals. just poke em..if they are hard to the touch or have cracks..it defenetly burning oil tru there. Or simply just replace them. Also check your spark plugs to see if they are wet with oil. If it was my car that be the first thing i check..then after fixing the seals, check compression. If its smoking black maybe its a bad tps hmm vacumm leak...well why not pull the ecu codes??
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Are you positive the high oil usage is because the motor is burning oil or leaking it instead? Excessive oil use can often be due to leaks around any of these areas-- disty, crankshaft/seal, valve cover gaskets... you don't seem to have high enough miles to be actually burning much oil unless the motor was neglected previously- like not having oil changes done regularly. Degrading gas mileage, especially if the change is large often means O2 sensor(s) need replacement. Could also mean a tune up is due/overdue for new plugs/air filter/cap/rotor/pcv valve... :shrug:
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My K8 manual never did better than 24mpg. An automatic would be worse. So yeah our gas mileage sucks.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
My K8 manual never did better than 24mpg. An automatic would be worse. So yeah our gas mileage sucks.
Ditto. 24MPG is a good week on my manual K8. And my engine doesn't burn oil, and passes emissions fine.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Abut 2L of oil is lost every 5,000km's for me. I get a constant 500km's (90% highway) for every 45L of gas.

Ps. I had black smoke coming out the back...ONLY when i push the engine to it's limits (rev wise).
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I get about 11km/L, that is 26mpg (96 GS). And that is with a fair amount of agressive driving. And that is pretty good considering even most cars now have about that level (or less).

My car doesn't really burn oil at all. (96000kms)
seneca

Post by seneca »

Yeah, whenever I push the engine really hard I get blue smoke from the rear.

Since my car sat all winter I did a full tune-up a month and a half ago (except tranny fluid, which I need!!!) I believe there was a little bit of oil on one of the plugs. But cannot confirm. There's a new disty, plugs, wires etc. on as well. I think I will soon have to replace the O2 and temp. sensors.

I've only had my ride for less than a year, and unfortunantly do not know what the previous ower was like :(

As far as the gas mileage is concerned...it used to be pretty easy on gas. But recently has been very piggish. Maybe it's the new body kit! lol...

Keep it coming everyone.

Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Blue smoke?? Hmm..that sounds like oil. Running rich is black smoke.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”