Help on AC problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
syleong

Help on AC problem

Post by syleong »

Hello everyone, I am a newbies over here. I have some question regarding the AC. I have a small accident that collide the the right hand side bumpers, and it is not very severe. However, everything is pull back togehter is shape, I just find out that my AC doesn't work anymore. Now I am going to find out what is the problem. The mechanic told me that my Coil Condensor might be broken. However, before I really change it, I think I will buy an ultraviolet leaker to find any leak on the pipe to the condensor or compressor.

1. I plan to do it with my friend. I have tried to search online but I can't find any manual regarding the AC parts. Do you have any pictures/steps so that I know what should I detach? Or can you suggest any good repair manual that I can buy to follow the steps ?

2. Since my car is 92 mazda mx3 GS, it is using the R12. So can anyone provide some information to do the conversion from r12 to r134a. Is there any specific steps I need to follow? Thanks.

I really appreciate someone can help me with this. Because I have tried to search the help online for a few days, and finally i decided to post the message here to see anyone can help me with this. Thanks
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Help on AC problem

Post by Grants »

First thing, is there any gas at all in the system now? Does the compressor engage when you turn the AC on?

Can't imagine the condensor being u/s as the damage should be obvious if it happened in an accident. So give it a good visual if you can first.

You'll probably have to go to a fridgie at some stage as you'll need gas, vac pump, gauges etc even if you can find a leak and repair it.

To change to R134A you need to change some parts (dryer, TX valve) and it can be a bit expensive. There is another gas that is now available (in Australia anyway) that can be put in as a direct replacement to R12. I can post the name of it if you want. This gas isn't advertised as a direct replacement (I think most fridgies like to do the whole change-over bit and charge accordingly) but I have been using it for several months in a R12 system with no side effects, damage or loss of efficiency. You may need to go to a commercial fridgie for it as an auto workshop might not have heard of it as they typically don't use various gases.

<small>[ July 10, 2004, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
TsiMiata

Re: Help on AC problem

Post by TsiMiata »

Without having die in the system to start with the ultra violet light won't do anything to find a leak.

Does the compressor kick in but no cold air comes out or does the compressor not kick in.

Don't bother converting your system to 134. I put this stuff in my car called enviro freeze. It works awesome and requires no conversion of your R12 system. The air out of my vents on a 90 degree day is 42-45 degrees.

http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”