MSD Distributor Cap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
custom101

MSD Distributor Cap

Post by custom101 »

Hey, I have a 92 GS with a MSD 6AL installed. Now I followed Jeff's directions regarding the install. But the part I'm having trouble with is the drilling of the distributor cap and epoxying the connection. Because of the temperatures where I live, after 2-3 months the epoxy hardens and cracks. I've had to redo this 3 times already.

Now I know the more popular cars have an MSD cap specially made with the connection (Civic). But does anyone know if MSD makes a cap that we can adapt to our car. I searched for an MX-6 or Probe but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows of any other options or can give me suggestions I'd appreciate.

Thanks.
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
12.21@114
Yeah it's stock...
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: MSD Distributor Cap

Post by IanL »

Just an idea - could you use the compound that they use to fill the engine mounts? You're just trying to hold it in place and keep moisture out - might be good enough for that?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by custom101:
Hey, I have a 92 GS with a MSD 6AL installed. Now I followed Jeff's directions regarding the install. But the part I'm having trouble with is the drilling of the distributor cap and epoxying the connection. Because of the temperatures where I live, after 2-3 months the epoxy hardens and cracks. I've had to redo this 3 times already.

Now I know the more popular cars have an MSD cap specially made with the connection (Civic). But does anyone know if MSD makes a cap that we can adapt to our car. I searched for an MX-6 or Probe but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows of any other options or can give me suggestions I'd appreciate.

Thanks.
there's no cap made for our car...
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I've always wondered if the klze distributer would work. It's got the external coil hook up. Anyone done it?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

good luck finding a new cap for it when it comes time to change it
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i use a little bit of silicone just to protect it. i've never had trouble with it
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Nobody makes one???

http://www.probesport.com/mdc04.html

<small>[ July 02, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

does the disty cap of the probe fits on our disty??

<small>[ July 02, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: babyblueMX3 ]</small>
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by papa roached:
Not at all. There are tons of guys like me who don't have msd or any sort of ignition upgrade who have a klze disty cap laying around. Especially on probetalk. Lastly, very, very rarely should anyone have to replace their disty cap.

Edit: Yes the disty for the probe will fit our car since it is the same one.

<small>[ July 02, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
custom101

Post by custom101 »

Oh that's awesome!!! Thanks a lot. I searched probetalk too, surprised I didn't find it. Anyway, I just placed my order. :)

Thanks again!
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
12.21@114
Yeah it's stock...
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
Originally posted by papa roached:
Not at all. There are tons of guys like me who don't have msd or any sort of ignition upgrade who have a klze disty cap laying around. Especially on probetalk. Lastly, very, very rarely should anyone have to replace their disty cap.

Edit: Yes the disty for the probe will fit our car since it is the same one.
so if the disty is the EXACT same do that means the wiring is also the same and we can use a msd set-up diagram from a probe..

i always tought they were different
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”