Bypassing power steering pump for track...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

Bypassing power steering pump for track...

Post by mx3man83 »

Ok, since the last thread was turning into a jumble of useless information, let's try this again. I am wondering if anyone has found a belt that will just run to the underdrive pulley and the water pump, bypassing the power steering pump. This of course would free up some much needed horsepower for the track. Please don't post trying to tell me how to take the measurements, that information is not needed and should be common knowledge for anyone who can think for themself. Please post if you have done this mod before, and if you have found which belt will fit. Thank you in advance to anyone who has useful information.

ps.. If nobody has done this, I will be the guinea pig and take the measurements and locate the proper belt.

<small>[ July 01, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
UrBaNsTyLe55

Re: Bypassing power steering pump for track...

Post by UrBaNsTyLe55 »

ok let me tell you what i did, ok here we go since my 323 was never equiped with power steering or a/c so what i did was take the belt used on a bp motor to spin both the power steering and compressor and use that since it was smaller, i cut off one how would you say it tooth i guess leaving the belt with only three, i then ran the belt around my pulley for the water pump and onto my alternator and with the same pulley used to tension up the belt tightened up and ran it that way, i've had the belt on that way for about a good 4months so far and no problems what soever with it, i've raced with it a couple of times and have yet to snap the belt, i know it may sound as a ghetto hook up but at the time it was the only thing i could think of since i could not find anyone who had a right up for bypassing the power steering belt, well just thought i would fill you in you could try it if you want guess it gives you an idea of one set up? :driver:
92 323 KF-ZE V6 swap done by me 2 1/4 header back exhaust no cat car now for sale for very cheap! email me at queensnysfinnest@aol.com for pics and questions
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Interesting idea....I took a look at the belt set up today and it doesn't look like it's possible (using a tensioner pulley). If you get a really small belt that is a tight fit, it may be able to go from the under drive pulley to the water pump. I am going to try that, I'll let you know.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'm also interested in this. Do we really even need power steering in such a light car? I wouldn't be able to do it UrBaNsTyLe55's way, though, because I need the A/C in summer. The only feasible way I can see to do it though is if you were to have a tensioner pulley wheel with the grooves in it.
:shrug:
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Is there a non-power rack that bolts into the MX-3?

The only way I see this working is with a grooved pulley replacing the current tensioner pulley. Then instead of pushing the belt to tension it you would pull on it. The belt would run up around the W.P. and then down around the new tensioner pulley. With a little junklyard shopping I bet you could find such a pulley.

Belt length, grooves and width is trivial. Belts are made in every length/width imaginable. You just need to know how the part numbering system works to get the one you want.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
UrBaNsTyLe55

Post by UrBaNsTyLe55 »

well with my idea you can still use your a/c just buy it longer thats what i'm doing right now for my a/c system, but i'm going to just replace where the powersteering went with a pulley with grooves in it
92 323 KF-ZE V6 swap done by me 2 1/4 header back exhaust no cat car now for sale for very cheap! email me at queensnysfinnest@aol.com for pics and questions
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by XxAntwawnxX:
Ok all i did was buy a smaller belt(i forget the size) and i put it around the waterpump and the tension pulley.

here is a vid a put together showing u my motor and how it works.

http://spikeshappyworld.com/car%20stuff/No%20powersteering.mpg

oh and u can still use a/c with this set up...i just choose not too..heh
That's exactly what I'm thinking. The pulley worries me though. Theres nothing to keep the belt from riding off the side. Also there's no grooves to match the small v's on the belt. The V's will get flattened every time they go over that pulley. It may be perfectly fine but it may cause the belt to wear quickly.

Good job on the video BTW

<small>[ July 05, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by UrBaNsTyLe55:
ok let me tell you what i did, ok here we go since my 323 was never equiped with power steering or a/c so what i did was take the belt used on a bp motor to spin both the power steering and compressor and use that since it was smaller, i cut off one how would you say it tooth i guess leaving the belt with only three, i then ran the belt around my pulley for the water pump and onto my alternator and with the same pulley used to tension up the belt tightened up and ran it that way, i've had the belt on that way for about a good 4months so far and no problems what soever with it, i've raced with it a couple of times and have yet to snap the belt, i know it may sound as a ghetto hook up but at the time it was the only thing i could think of since i could not find anyone who had a right up for bypassing the power steering belt, well just thought i would fill you in you could try it if you want guess it gives you an idea of one set up? :driver:
Doesn't that cause the water pump to spin the wrong way?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”