Knocking when turning (problem solved)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Macen

Knocking when turning (problem solved)

Post by Macen »

I hear knocking when turning hard. Happens when turning both left and right. Don't think it's the cv joints. Other suggestions?

<small>[ July 27, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Macen ]</small>
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Knocking when turning (problem solved)

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Could be worn stabilizer bar end-links. Few questions 1st though for clarification...

1) When you say "turning hard", what does that mean exactly? Turning sharply at high speed, low speed, any speed, steering wheel locked position to left/right? or during any sharp turn regardless of steering wheel position?

2) Is the sound there regardless of vehicle speed or mostly when turning just at low speeds?

3) Do you hear the sound from the area of both front wheels equally or only one side or the other, or not from the wheel areas at all?

3) Is the sound regular/cyclical or more random/irregular? Does it seem related/changed in synch with how fast your wheels are turning or related more to the steering wheel being turned?

4) Describe the actual sound a bit more. Is it a hollow kind of thunk/knock, click/tick, metallic pop, creak?

5) Last but not least, why do you not believe it not to be CV joint(s)?
Macen

Post by Macen »

1. I mean turn sharply at slow speeds.
2. Only tried at slow speeds. It's not my car, it's another one I have tried. And I have only tried it a few minutes.
3. Good question. Didn't think about that. Sorry.
3. Repeating sound.
4. Not ticking, more like knocking.
5. Because I had a bad CV joint on the car I have now, and it's not the same sound. I heard that sound when I didn't turn too sharp.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

it will be cvs or ball joints.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

cv's are funny things. One on the way out could sound completely different than the other one. My guess would be the cv's or something suspention-wise. another alternative could be a faulty power steering pump. either way, any good mechanic would be happy to tell you what it is, and the usually don't charge at smaller shops for test drives.
Macen

Post by Macen »

Hm, ok. So maybe it's the CV joints then after all. Then both must be bad, becuase I heard the sound when turning both left and rigth.

Thanks for the replies.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Originally posted by Macen:
Hm, ok. So maybe it's the CV joints then after all. Then both must be bad, becuase I heard the sound when turning both left and rigth.

Thanks for the replies.
Yea, I have CV's going bad on both sides of my Camry too. Only reason I mention it is because the driver side clicks/ticks in synch w/wheel rotation when turning sharply and the passenger side last week just started making a single "knock" sound when engaging in 1st & second gears & now starting to do that when engaging 3rd gear as well. CV's in general are known for having diff "personalities." Good luck.
Macen

Post by Macen »

I hear the sound both when turning left and right. Could it be only one side that is bad, or is it both?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Possible could be both sides but a little unusual that they would go like that at the same time... but possible. Also possible that IF it's a bad CV, the deteriorated joint on just one side of the car is making the noise whether ya turn it left or right too. You should be able to tell the general area where the noise is coming from. Is it always coming from one location? If in doubt, have someone drive your car to make the sound while you're in the passenger seat hanging your head out the window like a big ole dog. It will become clearer plus you'll get some healthy fresh air. :)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

its probably your axles, get under car and check rubber boots, they're probably torn, mine is knocking bad too and i checked it and on right side rubber boot is totally gone :eek: only pieces left where its clamped to half axle
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

If you dont see any of the boots torn or feel any greese, then put your hand on the steering rack and see if it jumps when you turn it back and forth. It most likely will not be that but doesnt hurt to check. On the Cavi that I drive(I have to its not my choice) the steering rack is going and it knocks baaaad.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
umbrau44

Post by umbrau44 »

My wife has a 97 Cavalier that also had problems with the steering rack. There was a recall on it but I don't know exactly what they fixed. The symptoms that I remember were loss of power steering fluid, sporadic difficulty turning left (most noticable in parking lots), and the steering wheel did not always return to center after a corner.

Anyways, here is another possible explanation for front end noise on the MX-3: http://rs-productions.com/RSP_Motors/tech/research/bearingplate.htm

I've been looking for a while because mine is making similar noises.
'93 GS. Stock for now.
cap4004

Post by cap4004 »

See below quote from Mazda TSB 008/92. This only applies to '92 MX-3's, but you didn't mention what year your friend's car is. I agree that CV is a likely place to look, but thought this might be helpful as well.
A snapping noise may be heard from the front end at walking speed during tight turns (steering wheel fully locked right or left). There is excessive clearance between the wheel bearing and steering knuckle. The snapping noise is caused by the loose wheel bearing shifting within the steering knuckle.
1992 MX-3 kl-ze, atx-to-mtx conv.
1993 MX-3 RS atx
Macen

Post by Macen »

My friend and I checked both CV joints, and they seem both fine. We found out that the left wheelbearing is "loose" and it moves when I try to push it. So I will replace it tomorrow and hope that it solves my knocking/clunking sound when turning right.

We also found out that the end of the "spindle link" (or is the correct word ball joint?) is bad. That's why I have knocking when turning the wheels when standing still.

<small>[ July 15, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Macen ]</small>
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
Macen

Post by Macen »

I replaced the right CV joint today, and now the knocking is gone (finaly). Ordered a CV joint, but that one didn't fit because the number of spines were wrong. But today I got another one that fitted like a glow.

So, what I did to solve the knocking when turning at slow speed was to replace the CV joint. And the other knocking sound when turning the wheels standing still was the "spindle end" (or if the correct word is tie rod or ball joint, I don't know. but it's the one on the end of the steering quite thin "line").
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”