Weird Electrical Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Weird Electrical Problems

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

When I put in a new battery the car gets the interior lights on and all that but when i try to start the car it only tries to crank once then it stops and never tries again. The batteries seem like theyre dying everytime I try to start the car once. Anyone know why the car would be doing this? Maybe the distributor or starter or what??
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
atx_mx3

Re: Weird Electrical Problems

Post by atx_mx3 »

Check your battery terminals first. Make sure they are clean and not corroded.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Theyre clean. I believe its the starter because it smokes for a second and makes a whining sound right after the car tries to turn over. Somebody help me out please.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Could be several problems, but check the batery voltage first, if you have 12 volts now and it only cranks once then check it again in a few hours if it has less after only one try you have a short in the wire and nedd to replace your battery wires (both) and check for any other places that may have lost their sheathing (from the battery wire all the way to the starter. If the battery is holding a charge then have someone crank the motor for you while you listen to the starter. Does it turn over? If it will only once do you hear a clicking sound on subsequent tries? If it tries once or every now and agina and clicks the rest of the time you probably need a new starter. (If this sounds like the problem then you can try to tap the silinoid of the starter while someone tries to crank it. The silinoid usually is what goes out and if it is not too bad it may crank while tapping it. If this orks then don't try to drive it, you just know that the starter is the problem) If that does not sound like it then post and I'll try to think of other problems it may be. These are the usuall suspects though. :pimp:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Illa Killa:
I believe its the starter because it smokes for a second and makes a whining sound right after the car tries to turn over. Somebody help me out please.
It shouldn't smoke - it sounds like the insulation in the coil which engages the pinion has a defect, and it isn't getting enough field in that coil to hold the pinion in place, so it falls out of engagement - the whining is probably the Bendix gear spinning down.

If that coil is presenting a near short-circuit to the battery, there's your battery problem. That circuit has no fuse or circuit breaker.

<small>[ May 31, 2004, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”