Just picked up my new 3.....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieval79
Supporting Member

Just picked up my new 3.....

Post by fieval79 »

Just got back last night with my new 3. Pretty nice for the price....lol

Anyways, I've never had or played with a GS before, so I'm gonna run down the list of probs with the car, and if anyone has some insight, let me know...

1. Intake leak- this one is from the ribbed piping. I've got duct tape on it for now, any other ideas till I get a new intake?

2. Exhaust leak somewhere. I can't find it, but damn if the car isn't loud as hell.

3. Grinding noise, possibley pressure plate grinding on flywheel?? That is what my guess is, I do notice that the clutch is slipping a bit. And there is hardly any pressure behind the clutch.....normal for GS??????

4. Ticking sound, think it's my lifters.

5. Doesn't seem like the motor is producing all the horsepower it should. I'm sure if the intake leak and exhaust leak are takin care of that problem might stop. Any other suggestions I should look for??

Anybody have an amber lens cover for the driver side light they want to send me so I can pass inspection?? LOL

The car was sitting for who knows how long.....I know I've got some work ahead of me, but I'm ready...hehe. So all you guys with the GS's I'll prolly be bothering you quite a bit till i'm done.

<small>[ May 16, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: fieval79 ]</small>
lakersfan1

Re: Just picked up my new 3.....

Post by lakersfan1 »

4. If the ticking is coming from the timing belt side of the engine, it's likely your timing belt tension arm. Beware that the timing belt change if done properly is $400 in just parts.

If it is a lifter noise, I'd 1) run a kerosene flush at the next oil change 2) put AutoRX in the new oil 3) do a Seafoam flush through the PVC hose. If that don't clean it out, nothing will.

For the amber light thing, just throw a bulb in it and buy that colored tape they sell at the auto parts store for broken tail lights. Should be good enough to pass inspection.

<small>[ May 16, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Email me at bigdog6718@hotmail.com I will send you a light .
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Hey John, good to see you finally got another mx-3. Too bad your no longer in Tucson though....
Hey if you have any questions with your GS, just pm me. I've done two swaps on mine, changed trannys, etc..I pretty much know the car better than i know myself. If it's your lifters ticking, don't worry about it. Exhaust leak, start it up, get underneath it and look/listen. Intake leak, just go to your local ricer shop and find a piece of metal intake tubing similar to the ribbed piece. Have fun..
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
4. If the ticking is coming from the timing belt side of the engine, it's likely your timing belt tension arm. Beware that the timing belt change if done properly is $400 in just parts.

If it is a lifter noise, I'd 1) run a kerosene flush at the next oil change 2) put AutoRX in the new oil 3) do a Seafoam flush through the PVC hose. If that don't clean it out, nothing will.

Skip the Kero flush - you'll risk breaking off a big chunk of carbon or sludge and clogging an oil passage somewhere. Just do Auto-Rx and that'll clean the whole engine within 3000 miles gently - it'll help if not stop the lifter's ticking. You'll probably notice better mileage as well. Just don't be alarmed at the crap that comes out during the oil changes, and follow the directions exactly. :2thumbsup:

Here's a discount code for buying it onlineAuto RX page : ARXRS put it in on the check page...

Also, I have found timing belt kits with the pulleys for $125 and timing belt tensioners on ebay (new) for $79 - so shop around. You can do the timing belt pulleys yourself for cheap (replace bearings) if you have skills.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by J Love:
Also, I have found timing belt kits with the pulleys for $125 and timing belt tensioners on ebay (new) for $79 - so shop around. You can do the timing belt pulleys yourself for cheap (replace bearings) if you have skills.
Hey. I did my math wrong. I meant $300. That was for $150 shipped for the timing kit, and $140+shipping for a Ford/Mazda brand tensioner arm. I've heard too many bad stories about the off-brand tensioner arms breaking catastaphicly after less than a year. Anyways, the last one for $79 I saw on eBay, I tried emailing the retailer for the entire week the auction was going on, and all my email got returned undeliverable.
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Trouble in paradise....

Found white smoke coming from exhaust....and a little radiator fluid on the floor. I read on here about a product called KW Block Sealer, so I bought it. I'm gonna give it a try on Thursday night.

Found oil on the spark plugs in the front. Called around for gaskets and the cheapest was $40!!! Last time I changed one of these on a DOHC mx-3 it was only $15!! Gone up last couple of years!!

E-brake is another problem. I can't find the screw that tightenes up the brake. It has like nothing behind it. I can raise the handle with ease, and nothing. The cable is fine too. Can somebody tell me where the screw(s) are that tighten this thing up? I've never had a chance to play with an emergency brake (besides power braking around corners...heheh)

J Love, does that Auto RX stuff really work??? I was thinking about ordering a bottle. Sure wish I knew about that stuff 2 years ago, with my other mx-3. Damn things sounded like a diesel if I didn't change to oil every 1500 miles.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The AutoRX is actually an all natural metal polish. Not a hard solvent. That's why you can drive on it for a couple thousand miles before switching oil. It has alot more time to get to all the nooks and crannies.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”