Emissions Problems again

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lazzyie

Emissions Problems again

Post by lazzyie »

Well I tested again today, here is my setup:
KLZE, stock intake, catback, 10,000 miles on cat, 02 sensors, range 7 ngks, ngk wires, working egr(i thought), kl57 ecu/kl02 vaf and my car is a gross polluter

my nox readings were wayyyyy off the charts and my hydrocarbons were a bit too high at the 15 mph test but everything else is sparkling....

Any useful information would be awesome.
Thanks,
Shawn Fluewelling
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
TsiMiata

Re: Emissions Problems again

Post by TsiMiata »

Nox is either your timing is to advanced or your running to lean. Since the HC is high I'd lean towards timing.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I thought the NOx were straight up EGR problems?

If you fix that, maybe one of those Emmision-in-a-can fuel additives will help you squeak by in the HC if you were close.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Why don't you just pay somebody to give you an inspection sticker? Its only alittle more expensive, every shop does it, and you're guaranteed to pass.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

the emissions in a can ups the nox's. might not be a good idea with the nox thru the roof all ready.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Ill check my timing again tommorow as for the NOX does it seem as my egr is working at all??? I am thinking that maybe the kl57 ecu may not operate the k8 egr valve because the egr on a 2.5 is different. As for the sticker idea this is california my state is super lame about emmissions. Thanks for the input.
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I had the same problem up here in Canada. It was linked to my Cat. converter. Changed it up..and was way below the limit. Have them test the reading before your cat. converter and at the muffler and see if there is a difference..If its the same...your cat isnt working.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by lazzyie:
Ill check my timing again tommorow as for the NOX does it seem as my egr is working at all??? I am thinking that maybe the kl57 ecu may not operate the k8 egr valve because the egr on a 2.5 is different. As for the sticker idea this is california my state is super lame about emmissions. Thanks for the input.
High nox is the result of high combustion temps. Thats why I was thinking either advance timing or its running lean. Both of those things will up the combustion temps and in turn the Nox. If you were running lean you wouldn't think you'd see the high HC(unburnt fuel).

I understand how the EGR works but I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have on an emissions test. It should bring down the Nox but how much it does I'm not sure of. Is it a 50% reduction or only 10% or some other amount?

Anyone running a non-egr KLZE have any emissions tests numbers?

One other emissions test work around I know of is disconnecting fuel injectors. The engine may not run great but it will reduce your overall emissions. My brother got his cat-less turbo eclipse with HKS cams to pass by disconnecting two fuel injectors. Passed with flying colors after that. On our cars you'd have to snip the wires to the ecu since there aren't individual connectors.

<small>[ April 26, 2004, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Looking at the numbers from my first emissions test the nox levels were lower when the car heated up, now the nox numbers are through the roof and the car was at oper. temp. the whole time. So does the egr only open at oper. temp.? Curt or someone thats a tech have any ideas???
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

is your plug for the egr passages in the side of the rear head? if not this will cause a bug exhaust leak when the egr is activated and it wont work properly.

NOX is caused by excessivle hot combustion temps,
bad thermostat, pluged or rotted out rad, cooling fans not comming on, egr not opening or passages plugged up or leaking, car running lean, timming too advanced.

all that could cause high NOX, if your car is running too lean, it will cause high nox, and if its lean enough it will cause a miss-fire, this will send unburnt fuel out the exhaust, this will result in high HC and hi NOX, it may only take a few miss-fires at 2000 rpms under load to fail. you might not even feel them.

I have heard from a few guys that I work with, that used to do emission testing, that running
the car to almost empty, then adding alot if fuel line anti-freeze (alchol) will help alot.

also if the cat is "weak" it may give you these types of readings, it may ony be working at 100% when it REALLY hot, and only working 30% at normal temps, check the readings befor the cat (you have to have them drill a small hole, check, then plug it with a bolt or weld it back up) if the readings are the same or very close then its the cat, if the reading change a lot (NOX before 2500 PPM, HC after cat 200 PPM) then its ok.

the cat can only cleen up so much, if you supply too much HC and NOX it will clean up what it can and the rest just passes through.

to test the egr, apply vaccum to the egr with the car running, the car should run like crapp and want to stall.

to test the ECU, hook up a vaccume gauge to the vaccum supply hose going to the egr, tape the gauge to your wind shield so you can read it while you drive, drive the car and see if the ECU grounds out the EGR vac solinoids that supply Vaccum to the EGR, it should get vaccum at light throttle crusing speeds. (not accelerating or decelerating)

lem me know what happens.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
valdigre

Post by valdigre »

I have this advice for all of you that have cars without cat or even with it but still have problems with emmisions.
I have bought this thing which is called Maksor "Dynamic Fuel" fuel modifier (something stronger then magnetizer). This is made by my domestic producer and this is how it basically works:
You install it "in" the fuel hose supplying the engine by cutting it and inserting this in the cutted area. You insert it as close to the engine as possible.
The product itself is a very strong magnet, which modifies fuel structure on the molecular background. The result is that fuel is better and more efficiently burnt and the emmisions are lower.
Does it work? Well I tried it out and it gives about 5% of power and torque. I didn't try the emmisions, I still have cat and I know I am good, but my friend with 10 year old accord without the cat....passed the emmision test...
I don't want to advertise this because I don't have any profits from this...but I have seen lots of posts about emmision...and I decided to give this advice...
Oh btw don't expact results just after installing it. Your ECU will need up to 1000 km to modify its settings but it should work.
Here is some www for you:

explanation this is explained on american product, older generation.
Polish producer
This is www of the product I have...unfortunately in polish..

Generally whatever magnetizer you buy (as long as it isn't fake) will improve your emmision.

Take care!
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by valdigre:
I have this advice for all of you that have cars without cat or even with it but still have problems with emmisions.
I have bought this thing which is called Maksor "Dynamic Fuel" fuel modifier (something stronger then magnetizer). This is made by my domestic producer and this is how it basically works:
You install it "in" the fuel hose supplying the engine by cutting it and inserting this in the cutted area. You insert it as close to the engine as possible.
The product itself is a very strong magnet, which modifies fuel structure on the molecular background. The result is that fuel is better and more efficiently burnt and the emmisions are lower.
Does it work? Well I tried it out and it gives about 5% of power and torque. I didn't try the emmisions, I still have cat and I know I am good, but my friend with 10 year old accord without the cat....passed the emmision test...
I don't want to advertise this because I don't have any profits from this...but I have seen lots of posts about emmision...and I decided to give this advice...
Oh btw don't expact results just after installing it. Your ECU will need up to 1000 km to modify its settings but it should work.
Here is some www for you:

explanation this is explained on american product, older generation.
Polish producer
This is www of the product I have...unfortunately in polish..

Generally whatever magnetizer you buy (as long as it isn't fake) will improve your emmision.

Take care!
can some one please delete the previous post.

all these snake oils dont work.

If they did then every car maker in the world would be using them to improve their cars.

Alcohal works, thats why they sell gas containing it, it help to reduce emissions, but if you run too much alcohal for a long time (eg; 90% for 100,000KM) it will hurt the rubber and plastic in your fuel system.

but for a day or 2 it will be fine.
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

valdigre

Post by valdigre »

sheees sorry for writing anything dude, I was just giving some advice, if you don't like the names then delete the producer names if you want. This idea is pretty new and not everyone has to be optimistic about it.
How can you possilby know if it works or not if you haven't tested it or know someone who tested it?
And what do you think, Honda passed the emmision test without the cat thanks to the God's help? :D
I don't think so...Here many people think as you do because they don't know it and don't believe in dark magic...
It didn't give my Mx very much... The difference in performance is unnoticeable, the fuel consumption is little bit smaller and I can't tell what about emmision, because I still have my cat installed...
Cheers!
"For those 10 seconds or less, I am free"
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i know the fastest FWD in japan uses a smililar thing
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I just dont want to get off topic, this thing is unproven, and it may lead people to wasting there money by testing it out.

If you have proper emission test results of befor this product and after this product showing that it helps, then thats fine.

I dont wantr to debate anything, The fasted car in the world is red, so if you paint your car red you will gain 25 H.P. :werd:

I pissed in my gas tank befor my emission test with a ze and no cat and by a fluke It passed the test, so Im selling my piss for $50.00 a bottle. it must be doing something, :werd: right?
Yes, I AM a bastard

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”