Power Steering Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Power Steering Problem

Post by schuttie2002 »

I've read all the posts and topics about power steering and im still lost. Heres my problem:

On warm days (70 degrees and up) my power steering becomes weaker i guess and its a little harder to turn the wheel. Accompanying this is a very low pitched whine, thats pretty loud actually. So I changed all the fluid and it helped some but the problem is still there. I checked for leaks in any hoses and didnt find anything until today. I jacked up my front end took off the wheel and traced the hoses to about where the power steering pump would be and im not sure if it is the pump, but right above the passenger side control arm theres a ton of grease build up all over everything. What the hell is going on when my cars really warm?
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
LiquidKarma

Re: Power Steering Problem

Post by LiquidKarma »

ok i don't know the what problem is but i have the same thing... i you find out what it is please post it
Looking for 94-96 GS...
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

maybe your pump is going?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

at first i was thinking pump too, but since december I've driven about 5,000 miles and have had absolutly no problem, but last week it hit 70 degrees and sure enough after about 20 min of driving I heard the noise again.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

When is the last time you drained and replaced the PS fluid? It might have contaminants in it or something that is causing it not to work properly.

If your PS pump is whining, that is a good sign its on its last legs. I replaced mine last september after it became so hard to turn, it shredded the gear splines off of the pulley & pump shaft.

I went to my junkyard and pulled one off a 626 for $12. 3 hours later and it was installed and working great :)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

It worth checking the idler/tensioner near the p/s pump as I was all set to change mine after similiar symptoms to yours and I span the bearing & it was all loose and grinding - took less than 15 minutes to pop a spare one I had on!
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Thanx gro and si...I had checked ur site gro and was thinkin about the junkyard deal. Si thats a great idea cause this all started last summer after my alt. belt tnesioner came off so maybe your on to something. you dont remember the part number of that bearing do you?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I posted the bearing number a couple of months ago - try a search in the meantime - I'll take a look at my invoice in the morning

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”