Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: In-depth discussion on KF-ZE

Post by Custommx3 »

The engine code for the 2.0L v6 was called an
H20A

according to this...
http://www.autopartsjs.com/kb/NPAUGUST99a.pdf

There was a 2.0L 4cl as I specified in an earlier post.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Custommx3:
Where did u get that info. Ford owns mazda by a large percentage, I dont believe they would share engine platforms with their major competitor...
On the contrary, Mazda and Suzuki do a lot of co-operation - they have jointly developed cars and sold them under their own badges (e.g. Suzuki Cara/Mazda AZ-3), and sometimes take a vehicle from each other and rebadge it.

Ever heard of a Mazda Proceed Levante? It's a Suzuki Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/GM Tracker...... Want to see - click here.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Ok time for me to step in here, awhile back MiataPower had a discussion about the Vitara motor, because it was a better platform for more power, now they discussed the swap for multiple cars not just miata, where the motors are similar there not the same, the vitara's are RWD (k series motors are setup for FWD), not only that but there manifolds are different, and the plumbing is different.

Now for the possibility of sharing designs or Parts, not all cars are designed by car manufactures, thus the reason of the Diamond Star motor being used in multiple makes and models.

I highly doubt that the motor are teh same, similar platforms but not the same, and im sure that mazda/ford wouldnt allow somebody to use there engine then change engine codes and what not. They MAY allow them to use the motor I wouldnt know im not in the big automotive corprate car building scene, but im pritty sure they wouldnt let them have the rights to that motor.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by JP:

It did have a non-ZE-like compression ratio of 9.5:1, so again, the difference in power was probably due to differences in exhaust, intake, FI and other electronics.
Kfze has a 10.0:1, to increase by .5 would require a different pistons, you could raise it with race series valves (flat valves instead of indentions in the vavles head) but not .5, mine are nearly flat, and according to manley the compression change would be so slightly that it would never made a difference in this motor besides just being better stronger valves.

Now maybe the pistons are the same size? but the piston head is different, never seen the vitara motor taken apart, to know.
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

the last time i looked under my hood of my vitara it was a 2l 4cyl and it a 99 the first year for them, wait let me check my glove box the other two cylanders might be hiding in there :idea: . They do have a 2.5l v6
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
They MAY allow them to use the motor I wouldnt know im not in the big automotive corprate car building scene, but im pritty sure they wouldnt let them have the rights to that motor.
Motor platform sharing is only taboo in the States where there's supposed to be a Big 3 rivalry. But I've read of such obscene comingling as Daimler-Chrysler and General Motors sharing an engine and manufacturing facility in Brazil. It's a necessity in other parts of the world where the pressure to develop 50MPG as well as other goals and such is higher. I've heard of some countries in Europe taxing vehicles differently if an engine is over 2.0 liters displacement, which I'm sure was the reason to even build a KF in the first place when it's so close to a K8 in displacement anyways.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Yup, that's quite right. In Europe, you never can be sure which manufacturer built your engine. Land Rover uses Peugot; quite a few use Nissan, including London taxis.

Mazda and Suzuki do quite a lot of cross-trading and cross-badging.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

ah yes but this doesnt help anyone out in the US so if they did use a kf motor in europe in a suzuki it is pointless for barry cause it will cost the same for him to import the parts

tatsu

Post by tatsu »

OK, good news and bad news:

First, the good: I have confirmed that the 2.0L V6 was sold by Suzuki in fairly large numbers from 1995 to at least 1999. I have also confirmed that the motor was a joint-venture between Mazda and Suzuki, with a 78.0mm bore, a 69.6mm stroke and a 9.5:1 C/R. It was rated at approximately 138 hp and 131 lb/ft. of torque. Internally, it is basically a KF-DE, so there should be a high degree of bottom-end parts compatibility between the two.

Now, the bad: after some further research, I have confirmed that the 2.0L V6 was only sold OUTSIDE of Canada and the U.S. (and possibly Mexico as well). The vehicle we (Suzuki dealership staff) drove at a product knowledge session back in 1996 must have been from offshore. The only V6 Suzuki sold here was the 2.5L, which is a unique design to Suzuki, from 1999 onwards in the Grand Vitara and in some later-model GMC/Chevrolet Trackers. I believe that the HP/torque ratings for the motor changed in 2002 or 2003, leading to my confusion as to that being the first year of the 2.5L.

It may be reasonably cost-effective to order piston rings from Suzuki dealers in Australia or elsewhere abroad, the big upside being that they will be new parts and they weigh next to nothing, so shipping should be relatively inexpensive. If you need replacement pistons, however, parts from Suzuki will only be 9.5:1 C/R models - the KF-ZE was a Mazda-only product.

So, it would appear that the best (only) bet domestically for replacement KF-ZE pistons & rings would be custom forged units from Wiseco (http://www.wiseco.com) or some other aftermarket piston supplier. Cost-wise, I would expect them to be nearly the price of buying another KF-ZE, however...

My apologies for any confusion caused by my earlier posts - wishful thinking on my part, I guess...
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by JP:

It may be reasonably cost-effective to order piston rings from Suzuki dealers in Australia or elsewhere abroad, the big upside being that they will be new parts and they weigh next to nothing, so shipping should be relatively inexpensive. If you need replacement pistons, however, parts from Suzuki will only be 9.5:1 C/R models - the KF-ZE was a Mazda-only product.

Cost effective? Why would someone go buy a set if there isnt a 100% guarantee that they will work, and if you have to import them in Why not just get kfze imported in instead of suzuki batch. Oh and as for shipping being relatively cheap he's right but considering i paid close to 300 dollars for a head gasket, i dont think your parts are gonna be relatively cheap.

Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Just looked at the picture of the Vitara V6 2.0L Head gaskets (H20A) and they are a little different then a K Series one.

http://www.gaskets.com.tw/
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

they look nothing like kfze gaskets

mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

looking for opinions on what size exhaust would be best for this engine? I think i read stock size is 1 7/8", would stock be to restrictive for it?
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

sorry to breth life to a old post but i got a question?

How can you tell if you have a KFde with 9.5:1 or A kfze with 10:1????

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”