Squealing belts. Too tight? Too loose? Or just breaking

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

Squealing belts. Too tight? Too loose? Or just breaking

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'm getting some accessory belt squeal after putting new belts on. Is this normal with new belts, or too you think they're too tight or something? It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've done any fiddling with accesory belts. :shrug:
andy

Re: Squealing belts. Too tight? Too loose? Or just breaking

Post by andy »

sounds like the opposite, there to loose.
try tightening them some more.

Andy P. 93 GS
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

mine squeal everytime i go over a huge puddle :shrug:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

They are probably alittle loose, but new belts have a tendancy to squeel anyway. Go to the auto parts store and get some belt dressing (a kinda wax that will condition them) that should help.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Well, I guess I found out the hard way. My alternator belt slipped a notch and sheared itself off. Luckily I had the old one still, and it really wasn't in that bad of shape to begin with.

I think what happened is I probably got a little coolant and power steering fluid on the belt on that side of the engine. When I was tweaking the tensions, the alternator belt was smoking and getting hot. I interpreted this as it being too tight. I think it might have just been the fluid smoking off the belt, though.

But it does raise a question about the belts for the alternator side. The one I bought was just grooved for the ridges on pulleys. But the one I pulled off that worked fine was also cross cut all along the belt. I'm guessing that's so it can make bends easier. :shrug: Is that the prefferred style for this application, and the parts counter just pushed thier cheaper belts on me? Or do you guys use both styles successfully?
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

One of my belts have been squealing for 2 years now lol. However, it ONLY squeals when im at idle! As soon as I start to accelerate, it's silent. So I dunno...
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

prob some sort of oil or antifreeze on the belt bc that will make it squeel,
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

If the belt was squealing or smoking its because it was too loose, not too tight. Antifreeze or oil on the belt will do it also, but if the belt is properly tightened even then it wont be that bad. Check the pulley alternator for black powder (tiny pieces of the belt). If you have that all over the pulley or alternator etc. the belt was too loose.

When you put a new belt on, put it on fairly tight because it will loosen a lot in the first few miles. Then recheck it and retighten it again if need be. Then check it again about 100 miles later. Not having access to the shop manual I cant tell you the actual tension, but in general you should be able to push the belt about 3/8 inch or so with your thumb with moderate pressure at a spot midway between pulleys.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

It ended up being the tension pulleys. Apparently, they were rated in sqaure inches of pressure, not square pounds......oops! :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”