Headlights Foggy

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Deano96GS

Headlights Foggy

Post by Deano96GS »

I have a 1996 GS, and the headlights are all foggy and roughed up, i was wondering how to buff them up back to a nice shine, any sugg's?<BR>thanks<BR><P>------------------<BR>Deano, 1996 Black GS
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three

Re: Headlights Foggy

Post by Guest »

take a de-ozidisor rubbing compound to the outside and sit there and RUBE!!! and for hte inside remove the headlight completly and pour a little CLR into the headlight and swish it around your lights will looks like new again!
Liquid_Metal

Post by Liquid_Metal »

i use a "Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover" (that's the name on the bottle) made by BlueMagic. It's basically used for cleaning motorcycle windshields and helmet facemasks. It's made for all clear plastics. It works like a wax, rub it on really good and wipe it off. It works great on my car...although I do the lights every three months just to keep them clear. So i recommend a Plastic/Plexiglass Scratch Remover of somesort.<BR>I just hope your problem isn't inside the light.
Liquid_Metal<BR>'94 MX-3GS<BR> Mazda_MX3GS@yahoo.com <BR><A HREF="http://www.MX-3GS.com" TARGET=_blank>www.MX-3GS.com<BR></A>
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

How to take off the headlights unit?<P>------------------<BR>Brainless<BR>93 red RS<p>[This message has been edited by Brainless (edited June 04, 2001).]
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I used some blue coral plastic polish I got at a local auto store. You can get it almost any autozone, Walmart, ect. The bluryness is on the outside of the headlight, its from road dirt/grime wearing off the original finish. Just use the polish, it works. Dont do the inside, unless it really needs it. Its too much work.<P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net
JahOutkast

Post by JahOutkast »

I have a '93 mx-3 and one headlight was replaced about 6 months ago after I got in an accident. The other was all yellow and hazy and really looked like crap. So after reading this thread I went out and got that stuff by BlueMagic that liquid metal suggested, and it helped a LOT! I had thought the discoloring was all from inside the light, but just cleaning the outside made it 10 times better. It still has a little bit of a yellow discoloration to it, but the guy at autozone told me that the sunlight does that over time and I should expect that. But anyway, thanks for the info!
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

well an easy way to fix it is to buy brand new housings... i did thatand they only cost $250 new at the dealer... depends on how bad you want absolutely clear.
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

to take out the headlamp housing, you have to take off the bumper cover. to do that you have to take out the sid markers and the blinkers, then un-bolt it from in those holes. then take out the screws inside the wheel well. then there are 2 bolts on the sides of the grill... you have to look from by your engine forward. these 2 are kinda hard to take out, but not too bad. then you just un-bolt the black legs that are attatched to the housing. a job that the dealer said would take 2 hours, but took me 20 minutes to swap housings. at $70 hollars an hour, i'll do it myself...heh
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

* dollars
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

i have 6 friends in my city with mx-3's, and my housings are the clearest... they're new... and everybody likes mine so much more..... it makes a HUGE difference when you have colored lights. i have rainbow ones, where depending on where you're looking from, they range in color from red to blue to yellow to green to pink. but... when i installed them in a friends, they just look pink... how flamin... to me, definetly worth the $250
Deano96GS

Post by Deano96GS »

Anyone know how to align headlights so they aim right?<BR>
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
RiEnHaRp

Post by RiEnHaRp »

You do not have to take the front bumper off to get the headlight out, remove the front turn housing and with an extension with a 10mm on it you can undo the light, but you must remove the two 10mm bolts holding on the center of the cover where it bolts to the core support.
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

and its a helluva lot easier to take it out by taking off the bumper cover. it only takes a singular minute. well i suppose if you want to d--- around with a long extension through a small hole at completely the wrong angle and dropping bolts, go ahead, be my guest.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”