oil in intake manifold and on throttle body????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ruthless_mx3

oil in intake manifold and on throttle body????

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

I took my throttle body off today to discover an oily, greasy coating on the back of the tb and all over in the intake manifold. what could be causing this?
I noticed a tube connecting to the intake between tb and vris that goes across the front valve cover and then into it. What is this for?
thanks
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: oil in intake manifold and on throttle body????

Post by IanL »

PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) System. Blowby gases (typically carrying oily vapour - that's where your residue comes from) are admitted to the inlet tract (when the PCV Valve opens) to be burnt in the cylinders.

<small>[ January 28, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

the pcv valve is on the top of the valve cover and enters the manifold after the tb. Theres another hose that goes from the front of the valve cover to in between the tb and vris/air filter. It also has an oily residue coming out of it. Is this also a part of the pcv system?

<small>[ January 28, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: ruthless_mx3 ]</small>

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
dragonmxer

Post by dragonmxer »

is there anyway to make it stop cuz mine does it too
gimme a chance to shine and ima blind the world
bluebullet

Post by bluebullet »

yes there is but apparently it is illegal
they look like smaller air filters one goes on ur intake and the other goes on ur engine(no tube thing between them)....more HP but illegal!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by ruthless_mx3:
the pcv valve is on the top of the valve cover and enters the manifold after the tb. Theres another hose that goes from the front of the valve cover to in between the tb and vris/air filter. It also has an oily residue coming out of it. Is this also a part of the pcv system?
Yes, it is. However, the way the system should work, should, in my opinion, prevent the oily residue coming out of the second hose mentioned (the fresh air supply hose).

This is why: There is normally a pressure drop across the throttle; i.e. pressure is lower (or more vacuum, if you prefer to think that way) downstream of the TB. So, when the PCV Valve opens, the airflow should go from high to low pressure; i.e. from the fresh air supply hose, through the camshaft chamber and the PCV Valve and thence to the IM, downstream of the TB. If it happens this way, the oil should not clog the TB.

If you unplug the PCV Valve from the cover, it should rattle. If not, it's stuck. If you unplug it with the engine running, you should be able to feel a vacuum. If not, it, or the hose, is blocked.

Just a guess, but if the PCV Valve is stuck, could the fresh air supply hose be sucking the stuff out of the engine?

Alternatively, Chilterns says: "If air pressure, and oil or sludge is present at the end of the fresh air supply hose, the engine has excessive blow-by, and cylinder bore or piston ring wear".

<small>[ January 29, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

OK so, since i have no emissions tests, remove pcv valve and replace w/ filter and cap the nipple on the manifold where that tube goes. Now what about the tube prior to the TB, what do I do with that?

ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

oh yeah
my pcv valve does rattle and my car has 120000miles on it so that could be part of the oil problem

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”