Cranks but won't start in cold...please help!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Guccione

Cranks but won't start in cold...please help!!!

Post by Guccione »

I have a 1993 Mazda that refuses to start when it is cold. We've been having -20 C days and worse. It will crank and crank for hours, sounds like its about to start but won't. After hours of this with boost it will start and will repeatedly start thereafter and run mint until its sat for the night again. Here's whats been done to try to fix;

-replaced spark plugs and wires
-checked battery-is good
-gasoline antifreeze
-new gas
-fuel pressure seems good
-has spark although it is questionable if it is weak
-check engine light was coming on, cleared and pulled codes
first time 17, 23, 24....cleared again and now reads only 23, which i know is right oxygen sensor BUT don't have a clue why that is coming up now...originally thought the first codes might have been due to flooding the engine
-and yes did an oil change

have had 3 mechanics working on it...1 was a mazda tech for few years. Also called to Mazda shop and they said igniter....
BUT...why the code 23?

Can a faulty oxygen sensor be the cause of it not starting in cold weather?
Or is the igniter the whole reason.
Since this problem started 3 weeks ago the first set of codes came on at the exact time it wouldnt start. Also if I get it started
and CEL doesnt come on it will definitely come on at about 4000 Rpm if you maintain it for 2 minutes, if that means anything at all. Which
to me seems like a fuel problem but could an igniter do this too?
Or, is the O2 sensor the whole blame. I've never heard of faulty O2 sensor to blame for a car not starting in the cold.

If I had cash to blow right now I would just start buying parts but don't so am looking for some reasonable conclusion as to why it could
be the igniter.

Please Help !!!
valoncan

Re: Cranks but won't start in cold...please help!!!

Post by valoncan »

am having the exact same problem bro, like exactly the same.
My car runs perfectly after it starts, but it takes a damn while to have it started.
I have done the same things, and it just won't work, i don;t know what to do?
It's in the shop, since my mechanic believes it's the ignition module, and it's getting checked tomorrow.

Good luck though!
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
Guccione

Post by Guccione »

So you automatically think I am a GUY!?!? :roll: That's what the mechanic said today to me too.

BUT.....does yours have the check engine light coming on, and how sure is your mechanic? Is he just guessing?

By the way do yu know roughly how much they are gonna charge you?
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

well, sorry about that wrong guess, and a he is pretty sure it's the module, since according to him and to everybody that had my car checked including myself, that's the only thing that makes sense, also, which rings another bell, I had the light came on a while ago on the highway when i was doing like 130 or so, but I know that was the O2 sensor problem that i was thinking to replace, but I have a huge doubt that could cause it not to start.
I will see what he says tomorrow and i let you know about pricing and all.
I live in St. Thomas Ontario, and there is not too too many mechanics around here, but i let you know.

Again Good luck!!
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
Guccione

Post by Guccione »

Ya please do let me know. I would appreciate it if you ask your mechanic if the O2 sensor codes would have anything to do with the ignition problem. My codes were 17, 23, and 24. Now only the 23 code remains after clearing them. Thanks sister!! :p (heehee)
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

get a block heater and plug your car in. That will take care of starting problems in the cold.
Show_MX

Post by Show_MX »

Same issue on my last MX, check the EGR.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

whats EGR
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
66impala

Post by 66impala »

Im having same problem with my wife stock 92 v6, only started this winter so the block heater would only be a bandaide for the real fix. As soon as it hits about 38 degrees car starts up and runs fine until you park it overnite. Mechanic checked car and found no problems. A few years back the dealer worked on a sensor in the air cleaner, any thoughts on this?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”