Installed straight neck manifold on my klze, works just

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

Installed straight neck manifold on my klze, works just

Post by mx3man83 »

I figured it out, it's so easy. If you want to know how then just fire me an e-mail.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Re: Installed straight neck manifold on my klze, works just

Post by Street-Import »

Yeah, I know 2 - 3 guys who did it too. He even showed me pictures... no need to weld anything or change anything. It a bit tight but it just fit I heard.

I guess that the straight neck IM dont fit is only a rumor...
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

just post it to help people out.

why make it hard by asking people to e-mail you? :roll:
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Ditto...
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

It's not that I don't want to tell, it's just that it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe I'll get some pictures and do a little write up.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

VERY interested here..
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

If you wanna do a nice write up on it I can stick it in the V6 FAQs. :driver:
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yes, the Straight neck WILL fit (technically) but it is too close to the master cylinder to be used safely without some modifications. (when the engine revs, it may hit the master cylinder & cause brake failure) Also- the throttle cable literally hits the master cylinder if not modified.

Patrick here in Atlanta has already done this-- but it did require some mods to clear the master cylinder safely.

:2thumbsup:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, I also installed the ZE intake and it WILL need to be modified. You can rev the motor while sittng there and see that it will hit. The motor under torque will move alot more than when it is sitting so don't be stupid and think that you're ok because you revved it and it didn't hit.
I suggest that you modify the throttle cable pulley to make it thinner and also to reduce its diamater. Also get Mazda Speed motor mounts. You'll also need to chain the front mount down to make sure that if you break a motor mount that you won't hit the master cylinder. Most KL-ZEs come from an automatic car and thus their throttle cable pulley is alot larger than one from a manual. Take some time to think about it...do you really trust your mechanical skills with your life. If you don't perform the necessary modifications (and do them propperly) you risk hitting the master cylinder, and how do you suppose that you will stop your car without brakes. The Millenia intake is not that much less HP and some even think that it is a an increase. So please don't use the ZE intake if you're not sure that you did it properly. :welder:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by PATDIESEL:

I suggest that you modify the throttle cable pulley to make it thinner and also to reduce its diamater.
Make the throttle cable pulley thinner? I have no idea what you mean by that. I DID have to do some modifications to make it fit. Of course I didn't just stick it in there. By the way, I tilted the engine. The throttle body or throttle linkage doesn't come anywhere near the brake booster. I lowered the front mount and I raised the rear one up. By doing both to the smallest degree, it tilts the engine just enough to give you plenty of clearance. Of course, I had a shop full of tools and alot of spare mx-3 parts to experiment with so it was very simple for me. In brief, I will explain how I modified the mounts. With the front mount, I actually cut the round part off of the bracket. I then cut the bracket down about half an inch or so then rewelded the round part back onto the bracket. Now before everyone starts flaming for modifying the mount, realize this stuff is done all of the time. Alot of old muscle cars are modified like crazy. As long as you know what you are doing, cutting and welding a mount is totally safe. With the rear mount it was much, much more simple. If you look under your car you will see a support that runs long ways, well this is what your rear mount bolts onto. If you look closer, you will see that the support is bolted onto the car and some rubber bushings are used as washers. If you remove the rubber bushings, you will raise the support up by about half an inch. That was all it took to give me the clearance I needed. The side mounts were even easier. I just drilled the holes longer since the mount was in a slightly different position. Now, you can tweak the mounts without doing any modifications since they are rubber, but you would then put much un-needed stress on them and cause them to wear out prematurely, maybe even rip. Right now I have the k8 throttle body on. I have a spare one so I'm going to attempt to bore it out and put the 2.5 butterfly mechanism in to get maximum air flow. If this does not work, I am going to install the 2.5 throttle body on with modified throttle linkage. Also, as soon as i can find a battery box, I'm going to relocate my battery to the hatch so i can have more room for my intake tubing.

With the millenia intake....Why spend more money if you don't have to? I don't have enough as it is, it would have been foolish to spend money on a Millenia intake because I was too lazy to use my brain.

It's kind of hard to explain without picutres, but at least i tried. As soon as I get my friends digital camera I will do a good write up with pictures.

<small>[ January 22, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Hey guys, since It's stopped raining for a bit I've finally been able to get on my klze. I've found that the k8 throttle body is way too restrictive. I figured it would be ok since some of you klze guys put the whole k8 IM on your car, but i guess i was wrong. My dad is going to be modifying my klze throttle linkage so it will fit. He's a machinest and has a state of the art machine shop at his use. I will post how he did it as soon as he's done.
My Cardomain site

Post by Guest »

Now i am not a mechanic here but my mechanic said that this would alter the axles or something like that if you tilt the engine and could cause more problems is this true?

Justin
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I already replied to your e-mail, but I will reply in the thread as well. If you tilt the engine just a small amount(which is all that is needed to fit the straight neck IM in) you will not affect your axles. I've even put more than normal stress on my axles since my front motor mount is wore out. I am fully aware that this is horrible on the axles and the transmission, but I have not had the time to replace the front mount. For now I just have it chained down, which is ok for a temporary fix but should not be the permananent solution. The tilting of the engine did not cause the motor mount to fail, it was trashed before I even installed it. I wanted to practice modifying the mount on my old mount before I did it to my new one...as it turns out the modification worked wonderfully but I didn't have time to do it to my new mount, so i threw the old one on and chained it down. I would love to have pictures to show you all soon but I have no site to host them on. If someone will host the pictures I will get a digital cam and snap some shots of what I did.
My Cardomain site

Post by Guest »

what do you mean chained down?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

old school muscle cars use this Chain option, you take a link of chain and weld it to your motor mounts ( i believe pat knows more about it then i do) but if the motor mount does snap, the chain link is there to keep your engine in place.

as for thining down the piece, its really, prolly would cost you 15 bucks max to take it to a mechanic shop and do it, or you can do it yourself and it really does give you alot more room and from what ive seen on pats car has zero effect on the actual performance, but to explain how to do it isnt that difficult but a pic would be easier to see.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”