Ummmmmm. Have we seen this yet? Eaton supercharger?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

Ummmmmm. Have we seen this yet? Eaton supercharger?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Eaton supercharger kit for the MX3 1.8L V6????

www.boosthead.com

They've also got an electric superchager kit they swear will work in 15 second bursts that costs $3000.

<small>[ January 15, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
mx3man83

Re: Ummmmmm. Have we seen this yet? Eaton supercharger?

Post by mx3man83 »

They've been around for a while. I'm not sure if anyone has actually bought the super charger kit for the mx3. Supposedly they suck, but I really can't say since I have never had any experience with them.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Jsut thought it was interesting since everyone on here always says there's no forced induction kit for the K8. Then I saw the ad that was talking about the electric kit for MX6, 626, and Probe, and booked to the site. Then, when I found the regular supercharger, I got giddy. The electric one sounds ridiculous with having to change your electrical system, but the regular Eaton supercharger kit sounds interesting. Most Eaton kits don't put that much more power like all the Jackson Racing kits for the Focus and such, but if it does an extra 40 HP or so, it might be worth it IMO.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

If I had the money I'd buy it.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I belive that the problem is that they are utter crap and still require custom modifications to get it to fit right, i've never looked into it, but thats what i remember
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

Also says to contact them about custom 1.6L kits :love: ... I wouldn't do it with my current budget, but if I had tons of money, I'd probably do it just to have something a little different.
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

wow a bolt-on supercharger for our car :2thumbsup: they claim 75 HP at the wheels and it comes with their own manifold and everything. the pics look cool too.

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

one word, They quality sucks from what Ive heard, And its made from crap. Ive also heard he ghetto-rigs it. Ask anyone whos been around about thomas knight's work.

Perfect example...
http://www.boosthead.com/installation_docs/doc25.htm
Looks like starter motors, dryer hose, and PVC pipe. I dunnoabout you. But Im wouldnt pay 2 grand for that crap.

<small>[ January 19, 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</small>
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

yes I have to agree with you custommx3. After searching the board I found serveral bad posts about thomas knight but none of them were about the supercharger..but I would not trust that guy at all.

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
boosthead

Post by boosthead »

Perfect example...
http://www.boosthead.com/installation_docs/doc25.htm
Looks like starter motors, dryer hose, and PVC pipe. I dunnoabout you. But Im wouldnt pay 2 grand for that crap.
David here from Thomas Knight. First, thanks for the interest in our products. But I have to say that I was very disappointed to come to a new board and find so much misinformation. Allow me to clarify a few things:

The setup you are looking at is my Ford Ranger, and it seems you missed a crucial detail when you visited that page. As clearly written above the images (with emphasis added):

"We are still tuning this stock Ranger after expiramenting with different fuel management setups... We will increase the psi after...several other mods"

In other words, this is a vehicle still in R&D. About 50% of the pieces that appear in those shots have since been changed out as we refine the design. Do you think it would be practical for us to use custom, polished, Mandrel-bent pipes every time we make a change to a test vehicle? If so, you have never done real R&D work...

Second, you aren't even criticizing one of our products, because we don't offer any intake pieces in our ESC™ kit! It is truly a universal system adaptible to any small-engine vehicle, so only the blower and basic electrical components are included. You are responsible for the cold-air setup. And FYI, those pieces are all metal, and the "dryer hose" was standard flexi-hose bought at an autoparts store.

Finally, it's funny that on a site with as many different kits, images, and dynos as ours (http://www.boosthead.com), you point to the absolute least impressive page you can find to make your case. That's sad.

But don't take my word for it. This same "i heard thomas knight's kits suck" crap was happening on another Mazda board until somebody actually went through the trouble to do some research on our products (instead of regurgitating somebody else's second-hand opinions). Then he posted pics of some of our work. Why don't you check out what he had to say: http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=6712cd266517072b607a60eaba0bcb97&threadid=36931&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

And without getting into details about the rumours spread by prolific smack-talkers from a certain popular Probe forum who haven't gotten over our declining a certain mass-buy proposition a few years ago, I'll say this: we have been in business since 1976. Companies that sell inferior products do not survive for 28 years. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of kits we have sold, you may find negative posts from half a dozen people who either mistakenly bought a poor copy of one of our kits off of eBay (we had a real problem with this a few years ago), or were offered an unfinished turbo kit at a substantial discount because they didn't have enough money for the complete works and we're nice guys (a mistake we made once and will never make again).

The rest is nothing more than unfounded hearsay from a friend of a friend of a friend of that guy whose roomate's cousin's boyfriend once worked at a Burger King where maybe, just maybe, Thomas Knight bought a large Diet Coke.

If you look at the high-quality studio pics of the ESC™, you'll see that the core is an Eaton roots-type blower driven by three custom-wound electric motors (those are not ordinary starter motors - each produces upwards of 6-8hp instantly) on a CNC aluminum billet. All of the highest quality and construction. All 100% guaranteed against defects in craftsmanship or materials, as plainly stated in our warranty.

That having been said, thanks again for your interest in our products, and if you would like to turn this into a more technical, less gossippy thread, I'll be happy to refer it to Thomas Knight himself. We understand your skepticism given the bad reputation eBay scammers have given Electric Supercharger technology, but we would appreciate more scientific, quantifiable, objective criticisms.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Smack!!!, hehehe...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

youry paying 3 grand for a brand new super charger 3 starter motors and the drive flange that mate the 2 together as well as the time that went into designing it.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Someone needs to put their money where his mouth is. Someone who is seriously interested in this should let their car be the volunteer test mule, and Thomas Knight supplies the parts/install. Then take it to the dyno. If it works, the volunteer agrees to buy it and tells everyone about how good it is. If it doesnt work, Thomas Knight removes it, gets no money for the effort, and takes whatever verbal abuse the forum dishes out. Its about the only way this he said/she said bickering gets resolved. (I cant be the volunteer because I have a 1.6/automatic, neither of which will work here).
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Plus you still have to pay for the batteries, cabling, heavy duty alternator, the fuelling enhancements and the inlet arrangements.

You will then have a system that gives you warp drive for about 12 seconds, and a wait of 3 minutes while Scotty recharges the dilithium crystals ;)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I will claify my own post. I said what I have HEARD. I personally do not know what your products consist of, only hear-say from many people which also could have been hear say.
Which is why I said and I quote ". Ask anyone whos been around about thomas knight's work."
I personally have never seen your work. If I have offended I appologize, but then again, Id need to see quality work in order to give you my own personal opinion.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”