Cold starting of V6 at -20 Celcious (Problems?)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

Cold starting of V6 at -20 Celcious (Problems?)

Post by quicksliver »

Does anyone else have any problems starting their MX3 GS when the tempature is -20C and below? Frist crank never works for me, second one sometimes works, and third one always works.

I know the K8 series engines are tough to start in 'sub zero' tempatures according to consumerguide.com, just wondering if anyone else in very cold climates has this problem too.
Low3-XM

Re: Cold starting of V6 at -20 Celcious (Problems?)

Post by Low3-XM »

mine turns over like three times then fires up.... one try for me just takes a little bit
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

yah I had that problem today. also my MTX was hard to shift. I think the fluid in it was almost frozn?
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

is that what makes it so hard to shift when i start driving after it has been cold? Im clueless aobut cars....
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by MX-3.com:
I think any car will have trouble starting in this type of weather. (unless it has an engine block heater installed.)

block heater wont help, it only prevents the fluid from freezing (keeps it at around 38F/3-5C)
It WONT heat up the coolant to 100F to make it easyer to start.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

If you're not already using it, switch to a full synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc) 5w30 or 10w30. Synthetics will still flow well in cold temps where dino oil will start getting really thick. If I remember right Mobil 1 10w30 wont go solid until -66F ( about -50 something C). Dino 10w30 you could ice skate on at that temp.
is that what makes it so hard to shift when i start driving after it has been cold? Im clueless aobut cars....
Yup, you (as opposed to the engine) are pulling levers and gears thru super thick oil. In my Rx7 when it got really cold like this I used to push in the clutch and pull the shifter back and forth thru 1st and 2nd gear as fast as I could about 20 times before I started the engine, otherwise the 1-2 and 2-3 shift was next to impossible for the first mile or so.

<small>[ January 09, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: guyaverage ]</small>
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

If you leave your car outside all night, then definately use synthetic motor oil and gear oil, it will help alot. My car starts and shifts as if its summer temp's regardless outside temp.
Becker

Post by Becker »

It's all about the battery, i had alot of trouble last year untill i put a new battery in. This year i havent had a problem, it starts right up everytime and i leave it outside all the time. :)
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
gsrbomb

Post by gsrbomb »

nO PROBLEMS WITH MY 94 GS. -29 NOW HERE !
-1994 GS ENTIRELY STOCK, BUT NOT FOR LONG!-
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

I had a new battery / spark plugs / wires put in March 2003...
tical

Post by tical »

holly ****, cant believe it gets so cold in canada that your oil starts to freeze. i thought its cold where im at (WVa, US), its about 21 degrees right now and thats below averave for us in the winter. sometimes it gets in the teens but for the most part our winters are in the mid to low 30's. last week it was like 43 degrees for a few days. i mean we still get alot of snow but it doesnt get to no -50 degrees here, has never in history. but i still cant believe your tranny oil freezes and makes it hard to shift. cant ever say ive had that problem. but i run synthetic oil though. i use Valvoline Syntec Durablend. its kept all my engine guts look new (ive looked).
anyways, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in since im from the states...

93' mx-3 gs with 95ooomiles

Justin
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
tical

Post by tical »

and i mean "average" when i typed averave. i fixed it before anyone could correct me. hahaha :laugh:
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
seneca

Post by seneca »

Right now it's -43C up here (I'm just North of Ottawa). SO the cold does play a big part! OK!!! See I haven't had my car started in over a month due to an accident. Now that I am fixing her she will turn over, and somedays allllmost catch and fire up but won't. :( So I should prob push into a heated garage to try things??? She was working right after the accident. I was told that your gas lines could freeze too :S Damn WINTER!!!!!

Thx
Tyson :D
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by seneca:
Right now it's -43C up here (I'm just North of Ottawa). SO the cold does play a big part! OK!!! See I haven't had my car started in over a month due to an accident. Now that I am fixing her she will turn over, and somedays allllmost catch and fire up but won't. :( So I should prob push into a heated garage to try things??? She was working right after the accident. I was told that your gas lines could freeze too :S Damn WINTER!!!!!
That's complete bull ****. I just got back from ottawa 20 minutes ago. It was -21C when i left there! -43C lmao what a load of ****.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”