Radiator Drain plug or lack thereof

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
andyl

Radiator Drain plug or lack thereof

Post by andyl »

I went to flush the radiator on my inherited(came with wife) 1994 MX-3. When I got underneath to the drain plug(lower right = passenger side), I saw there wasn't one. Surprised I found this forum and noticed on the forum that they have a habit of breaking. Well this one just wasn't there. I can see right in and put a screw driver in the hole. The car runs fine, no signs of overheating and there is fluid at the cap, in the upper hose and in the reservoir. I'm confused as to why its running fine, why there is no plug and why there isn't fluid everywhere. I'm looking for somebody to educate me on this?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: Radiator Drain plug or lack thereof

Post by Zoso124 »

Do you have a digital camera? take a pic, I'm really curious.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
andyl

Post by andyl »

I'll try to get the picture tomorrow after work and post it.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i was in an accident taht smashed my radiator. after all the coolant drained out i drove home fine for about 20 miles. when i got home i popped the hood and there was no fluid in my radiator. the engine temperature stayed normal and i could have kept driving, althought its probably not good, but my starter failed. dont know why but it happened to me too :shrug:
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

Speaking of drain plugs, has anyone drilled theirs out and replaced it with a bolt or something? Let me know im really looking for a way to make my already broken plug functional.

thanks

<small>[ November 04, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: mxer4eva ]</small>
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i need to find out how u drain it too, i mean if u take it to dealer or tune up shop what are THEy will do? im sure they wont drill hole :shrug: how you replace fluid in there, thats stupid designed radiator, prob one of things that i odnt like about my mazda. i need to flush mine soon.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

you can go through the trouble of removing the block heater, then jam a hose into the rad fill cap and run the water hard until it comes out clear.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
potatochobit

Post by potatochobit »

if the plug fell out recently your system is still pressurized and water will slowly drip out, but wont gush out. once you take the upper radiator cap off, it will pour out.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Are you sure that you weren't sticking the screw driver into the radiator support and not the drain plug.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by potatochobit:
if the plug fell out recently your system is still pressurized ......
This puzzles me. What retains the pressure when the plug has gone?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
andyl

Post by andyl »

Thanks for the inputs. Mike tipped me off to something and looks like the situation arose from a radiator repair done back in '99. I drained/flushed the rad by removing the lower hose and am not going to worry about it as long as it keeps running as well as it is.
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

My rad. has no plug either.. Makes me wonder if it was repaired or replace before? hmm
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I tried figuring out how the h*ll to drain my radiator when I did my motor swap. I couldn't figure it out so I just removed the lower radiator hose from it instead.

According to the FSM, the plug is on the side of one of the endtanks. I looked at it and saw it, it was some flimsy POS plastic screwnut that was already stripped to the point where no screwdriver could get on it. Worthless design!

My Protege at least has the plug on the bottom, which is a plastic wing-nut style plug that is easy to get off.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

I don't know about everyone else, but my radiator has a drain plug on the right (passenger side of the car) front, lower corner. It's a plastic 10mm bolt.

And no, you can't just drill a hole the radiator and put in a bolt (unless you tap it and use JB weld and plan to never drain it again). The stock drain plug should have a rubber o-ring to seal it.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

They sell kits at Pep Boys or Autozone that let you drain the coolant through the place you fill it under the hood. Some sort of suction mechanism.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”