Short Shifters

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Johns93GS

Short Shifters

Post by Johns93GS »

Hey guys,
I searched a few times on this topic, as I am looking to install a short shifter in my MX.

I remember reading that one short shifter for the MX-3 doesn't work with the SRD Shifter bushings... is that the Pacesetter or the B&M?

Also, I read up a lot of the B&M, and I am pretty much set on that one, however, can anyone with the Pacesetter tell me some things they really like about it?
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: Short Shifters

Post by Zoso124 »

The SRD bushings worked fine with my Pacesetter Short Shifter.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

So you are using a Pacesetter and SRD bushings... Any large pros or cons?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I had a Pacesetter on my car in the past. While it is adjustable, it isn't a very good design.

The shorter the lever becomes inside the car, the longer it'll be on the underside of the car. If you adjust it too far down, the lever will cause the shiftrod to scrape against the cat and exhaust tubing, making your shifts feel like total dog****.

I have since replace it with a stock shifter out of a Mazda MP3. The MP3's don't use the larger plastic shift lever bushings, instead using the same size bushings your stock lever uses. Their throw is about 40% less than stock and the lever is about 40% shorter than stock, but the bottom part protruding is really short and never interferes with the exhaust.

If you can't find a MP3 owner who would sell you their shifter, look for a Kartboy shifter (http://kartboy.com). They are about $90 shipped or so and work well. NOTE the Kartboy bushings designed for the Protege5 / MP3 do not fit our cars.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zebaj

Post by Zebaj »

The B&M design is much stronger than the pacesetter.
The pacesetter tends to flex. As far as bushings go, the Bronzoil bushings work best with B&M from what I've heard. And although the bushings might fit the pacesetter, I'm unaware of how well it works. I have been debating which one to go with. The two sides are the coin are pacesetter being a good 60-70 dollars cheaper and B&M being higher quality. I've heard TWM makes a STS for the mx-3. Althought I'm not sure on how well it works. I will most likely end up with B&M because I trust them more than pacesetter, I'm probably paying more for the name than anything else. But atleast I'm guarenteed I'll like it. My two cents. Peace.
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I love my Pacesetter. Shifts really smooth and the throws are tiny. Its also alot shorter when adjusted to the shortest throw, which looks wicked. I havent had any problems with the bottom hitting or scraping anything :shrug: . And i dont know what people are talking about when they say it flexes :confused2: , it seems VERY solid to me.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

T-Rose, do you use the Bronzoil Bushings from SRD?
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Nope, I'm using the ones that came with it. They seem fine to me! Firmer then stock! I'll probably change to the bronziol bushings later though, cause everyone that has em likes them :shrug:
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
mightym0use5

Post by mightym0use5 »

I am using a B&M and I love it. no complaints here
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

i have a b&m with the bronzoil bushings.. the bushings make as much difference as the short shifter... took about a week before the bushings were really smooth (they fit really tight - you need to lightly sand the bushing to fit it in anyways - you don't want to remove very much and check the fit often.

i would highly recommend both the b&m (never felt a pacesetter) and the bronzoil bushings
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I'm running a twm shifter...it works great.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I'm running a DIY job - cheap and effective.

See my post of 16 February in this thread http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=002518

Best thing I've done since buying the car ;)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
sheller

Post by sheller »

I also have the B&M with the Bronzoils. I think they are great together. It was pretty stiff at first but the mechanic adjusted it and it's super quick now.
steve
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

I have rafi's on rr-racing.com
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

I thought the B&M short shifter would sit short( as in height) like the stock RX8?
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”