makes no sense!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
back alley

makes no sense!

Post by back alley »

i have a stock 92 gs that normally gets only fair milage.
lately, the car seems to have a new pep to it, really lively and the mileage has jumped from about 320 km per tank to over 400!<p>early in the summer i had new struts & springs installed all around and about a month ago had new exhaust pipes put in. the muffler was still in really good shape so i left it. i think it's a oem muffler.
also my ce light used to come on all the time and that has dropped dramatically.<p>what's up? any ideas what could be causing my good fortune??
Hy300

Re: makes no sense!

Post by Hy300 »

cooler air means a denser air mixing with your fuel. If you were running slightly rich before, then after a long time at low rpms, a CEL might come on. Now, with more oxygen mixing with the same amount of fuel, you will get more pep and better economy. Another idea is that your exhaust could've been restricting flow and thus not allowing for proper exhaust velocity. That could mean that a small amount of exhaust gasses could've remained trapped in your cylinder and heated the mixture or prevented a proper burn of the fuel mixture by starving the flame of oxygen. Slower exhaust velocity also mean that there will be less vacuum built up behind your exhaust valves to draw out spent gasses.<p>[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

It's the cooler air most likely. My mother reported the same thing this week on her car in Chicago...completely different car. My MX3 performs great in the morning before the sub comes up, but does poor in the mid-day sun.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I think they just switched to winter blend gas up there. It will run leaner with that.<p>Winter, whats winter? ;)
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by back alley:
i have a stock 92 gs that normally gets only fair milage.
lately, the car seems to have a new pep to it, really lively and the mileage has jumped from about 320 km per tank to over 400!<p>early in the summer i had new struts & springs installed all around and about a month ago had new exhaust pipes put in. the muffler was still in really good shape so i left it. i think it's a oem muffler.
also my ce light used to come on all the time and that has dropped dramatically.<p>what's up? any ideas what could be causing my good fortune??
<hr></blockquote><p>why was your cel light coming on? what code did you get crom the cel?<p>why didnt you get it checked and fix the cel light?
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
back alley

Post by back alley »

the ce light is on my 'to do' list.
my mechanic didn't seem to think it was a priority.
i bought the car used and have been slowly fixing it up.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”