dazdp63

redline

Post by dazdp63 »

hay i wanted to know what internals do i need to raise my redline up to 9k-10k
blah blah blah
Taras

Re: redline

Post by Taras »

You will get too much valve float. So definitely titanium springs and retainers. But why would you want it that high. As far as I know there is no real gains to be had.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
dazdp63

Post by dazdp63 »

i noticed on some hondas they redline at 9k and i wanted to see if it was possable for a klze was able to do it to
blah blah blah
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

the only reasons those engines rev that high is thats what it takes for the engine to make power. Its designed that way. There's no reason you would want to make your KL engine rev that high. The power dies out right at the 7k redline.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
dazdp63

Post by dazdp63 »

cool thankx for clearing that up for me<p>[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: dazdp63 ]</p>
blah blah blah
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

There are certain powrbands, anything after it will do no good. Plus it would be a whole lot of work for nothing at all.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

Unless you got some special wild cams ground.<p>That would give you loads of power at high revs but no low down torque at all.<p>You'd probably also need solid lifters.<p>Stuart
pelado

Post by pelado »

...and a custom intake that isn't as restrictive as the stocker.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Horsepower = (torque x RPMs) / 5252 <p>if a super high reving power monster is what you want out of your engine go for it. dont let people tell you what you can and cannot do especially if they dont know if what they know is fact. anything is possible with time, money and a little research(maybe a lot). heres something for starters.<p>http://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=19<p>i dont mean to bash anyone but more hoping you guys will become more well informed before spitting out guesses or "what i heard" info. check it out<p>its all in tuning and what people want out of their engines whether it be high reving or low down monster. it isnt that they must rev that high to make power but they are tuned to do so and do it with 0 complaints. valve float is definate for any k series at rpms that many other engines can rev to with ease. they didnt come with solid lifters because they were never tuned to go above 7500 rpm for street use as well as having longer gearing with engines tuned for lower rpm power. <p>to rev that high not only should u get titanium retainers, but u will need stiffer valve springs as well. converting to solid lifters would probably help with the definate valve float and timing problems ull have above 8k with hla's. after u can rev that high ull need cams to make power up there and lots of tuning and a set of custom adjustable cam gears.<p>i know im going to get flamed for this but i dont care as long as a few willing add som knowledge to their minds
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Look at the K series torque curves. As the rpm rises past about 6500, the torque drops away steeply. Multiply the rising rpm by the dropping torque - you won't get more power. The amount of design change needed to shift those torque curves up-band is considerable.<p>Yes, you can rework the engine to achieve high power at very high revs; it's just that the amount and consequent cost of the rework is going to rule it for most people. Fitting a larger engine or boosting the air supply is more cost-effective.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

but there are some of us that want a high reving k series engine. thats why he asked or he would have gone to the boost and ask how much can i boost on a k series?<p>no offense but look at the question<p>[ September 14, 2003: Message edited by: Steeb ]</p>
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

Yes, quite, look at the question.<p>For instance does this strike you as someone with either a lot of knowledge or a huge budget to pay someone else to do the work ?<p>He asked what needed to be done to get the car to rev to 9-10K. The answers pretty obviously said loads and very expensive. Which is fair enough.<p>Stuart
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

this is going off topic but oh well after this im over it<p>who and what post answered his question?
:cost too much" does not answer to his question<p>its like if a kid asks for candy and their parents tell them its to expensive so it dont think about it. hes new so y not tell him what he needs to know instead of killing his dream?
going f/i cost a lot too but you dont have to buy everything at once do u?
chance

Post by chance »

One of the reasone those torque curves drop off at the higher rpm ranges is because the stock intake system isn't designed to handle the airflow your engine wants to draw when it is firing that fast. And I agree, a good bit of head work would be needed. I'm all for someone trying it. I've built a few sbc's that seen 8 grand. hell, had a 327 that was whinding out around 10 for a couple passes.
curve

Post by curve »

Well considering my kl-ze is redlining at 8000 and its pulling like a mofo at that rpm I will prodly say that it could probanly hold 9000 if it would let me give it that much. But I have a lot of money tied up in making it do that. It is possible and I just thought I would let all of you know that and just like the other person said, he's new to this site but don't throw his dreams out the window he can do it b/c I already have done it.
93 KLZED Mx-3 with MSD ignition, LSD tranny, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, Nology plug wires, header with open 2.5" exhaust and ractive muffler, and of course 125 shot Zex system with bottle heater electric bottle opener and purge valve, all autometer carbon fiber gauges, (Dash is completely custom in the gauge cluseter area), alpine deck with 6 disc changer, orion 32 band digital eq, 5 Linear power amplifiers, 2 alpine digital crossovers, 1 JL w5 12" woofer fiberglassed into the spare tire hole, q-form kick panels with 5 1/4 and tweeters, fiberglassed door panels and rear panels, alpine security system, also ground control coilovers, 17" Konig wheels with nitto tires, ractive rear strut tower brace, cross drilled and slotted roters on all 4 corners, GTR rear spoiler, 2 Sets of neons, and clear bumper and corner lights. I cant take credit for building this car it belonged to another mx-3er who built the whole thing and if you would like to see it being built go to Woodyscustomcreations.com

1/4 mile times 13.46 at 103

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”