Power Steering Pump pulley.....wtf?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gro Harlem

Power Steering Pump pulley.....wtf?

Post by Gro Harlem »

When I was doing my ZE swap, for some stupid reason I thought I was supposed to remove the power steering pump pulley, so I loosened the 17mm nut holding it on a bit, but then the thing would just turn, and the nut wouldn't keep coming off the threaded stud.<p>Well...I tried tightening it, but it just spins in either direction.<p>Now I have a f'ed up horrible noise coming from the pulley being loose when the car idles or revs, and the belt slips even after I re-tightned the damn thing with the tensioner!!<p>IS there a magical way to tighten or loosen the power steering pump pulley? like a special "key" or something that keeps the middle from spinning along with the nut?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Oliver

Re: Power Steering Pump pulley.....wtf?

Post by Oliver »

Get ready for a mouth full. The tool is called a power steering pully pump puller.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I think what i'll end up doing, is removing my pump off the bracket, and taking my impact gun to the bolt until it re-tightens itself.<p>The pump works when the car is idling...but when I turn the wheel too quickly, it'll cuase a loud horrible sound from the pulley. <p>Dammit...now i am going to have to leak ATF all over the place when I remove that PS line :(
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Cage

Post by Cage »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
I think what i'll end up doing, is removing my pump off the bracket, and taking my impact gun to the bolt until it re-tightens itself.<p>The pump works when the car is idling...but when I turn the wheel too quickly, it'll cuase a loud horrible sound from the pulley. <p>Dammit...now i am going to have to leak ATF all over the place when I remove that PS line :( <hr></blockquote><p>I did the same thing on my swap. I used a wrench wedeged in the pully to tighten it ...LOL the fist time I got powersteering fluid all over the celing with the impact.
Also our powersteering needs to be totally full for it to not make that terrible noise that you are hearing. Spend the money on synthic ! <p>Cage
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

so how did you tighten it?<p>I just loosened it until it kept spinning, the center locknut wouldn't come off and now the pulley is like 1/4" or so loose and rattles.<p>I have the fluid level all the way up. Before, I had no fluid in the car when I was driving it, and it made no noise at all. I am guessing that b/c of the fluid being pumped through (causing work on the pulley) it makes the stupid pulley rattle like a mofo.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

You ever notice the 2 holes in the pulley? you put a 14mm socket through to reach a bolt to hold the pulley while you take the bolt on or off. I'm assuming you don't own a shop manual. :shrug: <p>http://www.mazdamaniac.com/shop_man/b2-043.gif
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i can't secure the pulley, the nut just spins while I hold teh pulley still...its like frozen or something.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

You mean the shaft of the pump then? I didn't think the pump shaft used a locking nut. Did you get a pump on your ZE? try using the nut off its pump.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”