HEELLLP BRAKES WENT WEIRD GOING FAST 103 OCTANE!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

Re: HEELLLP BRAKES WENT WEIRD GOING FAST 103 OCTANE!

Post by quicksliver »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx34u2nve:
k i got a ncie tank of 103 octane today. and let me tell you after 100kmph i makes a huge difference. feels liek a small shot of nos. but anyways iw as rippin at about 200 and then i saw the end of the raod so i hit my brakes just about as hard as i could be for the abs bull**** kicks in and then i stopped intime to still be alive. then right after i stoped at the next intersection and it took me a hell of a lot longer to stop.. would i of done some damage?? or maybe they were just really hot and not working right?? cause i put my hand on my brake pad and almost scalded it they were soooooooo hot. thanks<hr></blockquote><p>I hope you blow you're engine bud (which im sure it will very soon).
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

I agree that was some good reading, Just wanted to add/share that I was reacently down in North Carolina and I found On a full tank of gas anywhere below NY I would get atleast 50Km further. All I can think of is the States (USA) gets better fuel than us (Canada). Anyone have comments about that?
Spida

Post by Spida »

Ok so the big octane debate is out for all to put in their 2 cents. Here is what I was told by VP fuels. When your piston goes up on compression stroke the gas/air mix heats up (as do all gases when compressed) at a certain temp the air/fuel mix ignites. If this happens rather than the spark igniting the fuel mix then it’s called pre-ignition. Mild cases happen when only a degree or less before the spark sever cases happen much earlier and can cause sever damage to the car. Higher octane fuel ignite at a higher temp and thus burn more completely at these higher temps BUT burn poorly at lower temps. So if you have a good spark and you engine gets hot enough high octane could help performance but more than likely it will do nothing or hurt performance.
On a side note I was under the impression when you ran nos you could run on lower octane because of the cooling effect. Or at least that’s what the guys at Mission raceway who run nos in their race cars tell me.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

You may have boiled the brake fluid. Bleeding all the fluid- if they are still squishy- might bring them back. The next step is some real brake pads.<p>Ditto on the 103 octane not doing anything. octane is all about knock supression in the end. if your motors not knocking octane isn't buying you anything.<p>[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</p>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spida:
On a side note I was under the impression when you ran nos you could run on lower octane because of the cooling effect. Or at least that?s what the guys at Mission raceway who run nos in their race cars tell me.<hr></blockquote><p>Dohhh!! That is not true at all!!! You need the highest octane you can get running nitrous (nos is for the F&F crowd) Nitrous is the same as a turbo- higher cylinder pressures. I think those guys must be messing with you. nobody in their right mind would use lower octane on nitrous.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

ya i use NOS brand nitrous so im used to just saying nos. and To quicksilver. im trying to blow my engine becauase i have a klze ready to put in. i've driven really my car really hard without any problems so don't be sure about anything there "bud"<p>you guys should try some really high octane fuel though i did feel a difference and my boss who's a molson indy driver/mechanic told me that it does make a difference.but i dunno i guess you'll have to try it
Turbo 2.5l mx3
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

103 octane would do nothing but foul your plugs. The 9.2:1 compression your K8 has isn't nearly high enough to need that kind of octane to back it up. I say go get a bottle and run a 100 shot on it till your k8 explodes and tell us how much fun it was.... :)
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

lazzyie thats exacly what i am doing running a 100 shot
Turbo 2.5l mx3
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

can i have your car to blow its engine pleeeassee lol<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx34u2nve:
ya i use NOS brand nitrous so im used to just saying nos. and To quicksilver. im trying to blow my engine becauase i have a klze ready to put in. i've driven really my car really hard without any problems so don't be sure about anything there "bud"<p>you guys should try some really high octane fuel though i did feel a difference and my boss who's a molson indy driver/mechanic told me that it does make a difference.but i dunno i guess you'll have to try it<hr></blockquote>
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

ummmm before you guys just start blowing K8's there are some people (like ME) who'll buy them up....but not when they're cracked or busted. your blown engine means less money in your pocket and fewer available engines for me to rebuild. just keep that in mind if you may need a few extra bucks
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Ok, I guess you guys forgot that this engine has a knock sensor. I was told; Higher octane in this engine, means more advance on the timing. More advance on the timing means more power in high range and less in low range. Now, I've read that the nock sensor works up to about 95-97 octane fuels and then it doesn't advance any more. So what SPIDA said about higher octane fuels burning at higher temps comes into play. Running too much octane in my car, I can feel a power loss, but then my ignition might be weaker.
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

darren how much do you buy them for??? and why do you buy them. cause mine has really high mileage burns a lota oil and has run two bottles of nos at 50 shot. haha doesn't sound to healthy hey. but wouldn't shipping costs etc. be excpesnive??
Turbo 2.5l mx3
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

I'll likely start another thread about this.
depending on the condition of the engine determines what I'm willing to pay. $200 to $400 CDN is pretty common for a block and heads.
since they are plentifull I really don't have to worry about shipping, because I can find them close by.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”