Air Conditioning problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cage

Air Conditioning problem

Post by Cage »

Hi,
did a KLZE swap about 3 months ago. I hooked up my old Ac Compressor from my 1.8. I am not sure if it worked or not (bought the car in the fall)dead. I went to have it serviced and they wanted $500.00 for the R12. I laughed as I left and went to a local Walmart and bought a Retro R134a Kit. I followed the instructions to the letter. No cold air :( . I have also noticed that when the car is warmed up at idel with the Ac button pushed in the rpms rev up and down from 500 Rpms to 1500Rpm very fast. Not sure if it was doing that before the swap or even before the 134A conversion. I have priced out a new compressor Ouch! Not sure if that is the problem. Any ideas?<p>Thanks
Cage
JasonH

Re: Air Conditioning problem

Post by JasonH »

Laugh all the way back to your mechanic. Those R134a kits are ok if you use them properly, but most people don't.<p>In order to switch to R134a you need to have the freon evactauted from the system. Then you need to remove the compressor and drain the old mineral oil out of it. R134a uses an ester oil which is incompatible. Sometimes, after doing what you did, the A/C might blow cold and work for a while. But, in the end, the compressor is going to seize and you'll need to replace it.<p>I had my system checked and it was full of freon but not working. Turns out it was the pressure switch near the inspection window on the A/C line. To replace the switch, the system had to be evacuated (or the freon would come out when the switch was removed anyway) then had to be refilled. I paid ~$400 for the whole thing, with about a third paying for the freon.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: Air Conditioning problem

Post by Zoso124 »

First make sure the IAC harnass is hooked up underneath the TB. Then check to see how much freon is in the system with a pressure guage. It is a possibility it could be the pressure switch, but my knowledge isn't very extensive in the A/C area.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”