How Long Does It Take For A Swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

How Long Does It Take For A Swap?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm just wondering what you guys spent in time to complete the swap? Guestimation....Manhours would be ideal, but days works too
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
quicksliver

Re: How Long Does It Take For A Swap?

Post by quicksliver »

It all depends on who is doing the swap.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
I'm just wondering what you guys spent in time to complete the swap? Guestimation....Manhours would be ideal, but days works too<hr></blockquote><p>my car was in the shop for 3 days, but we were waiting for some parts, plus the engine came in a little banged up (oil pan denten, all vacuum lines cut off).
I'd say you can do it in 1 day if everything goes right, that's 8-10 hrs. More likely it will take longer, about 2 days. That's just guestimation
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

3 weeks for the first one, 3 days for the second one
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

6 months for the first one, 1 day for the second. ROFL
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

depends on if you have all the parts available and if your shop has AC :)
Make sure you have everything you need, tools, fluids, parts ect...
if its hot, plan on 2 weeks atleast on your 1st one. You could do it in 1 day, but plan ahead, get you some sandwhich bags an a sharpie and label all the screws where they came from, easier to keep up with where they go.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

my mechanic is going it in his (well equipped) garage. I have everything exept the radiator fluid...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

good luck , you will not regret it. I say 20 hrs. put a stock probe clutch on or after market cm/act . that motor has alot of torque :eek:
13.023 @ 105 mph
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

It took us (3 men) 4 hours to pull the k8 and about 12-14 to put it back. None of us had ever done an import but my two buddies were prety versed in domestics. The only regret i have is i put a CM stage 1 , it was free with the car, and now it slips F***!
65 shot > V8
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I decided to go with a Bully Mx-6 Stage 2 Clutch...<p>Once the drivetrain is taken out, im gonnag my flywheel resurfaced and lightened<p>Man, i can't wait for this!<p>[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'm about 20 hours or so into my swap and I still have about 2-3 more to go before everything is done and running.<p>Took maybe 4-5 hours total to rent hoist, get the K8 out and begin disassembling it.<p>Took way longer than I expected to swap the parts from the K8 to the KLZE, as well as instaling new stuff like timing belt, water pump and gaskets.<p>I had to swap my oil pan b/c my KLZE one was dented significantly...this took me like an hour b/c i leaked oil all over the place and had to wipe it up.<p>So far I have the KLZE in the car, just need to hook up the elec connectors, bolt up the manifold and shift linkage, axles, and hoses, put radiator back in, airbox/hoses/vaf and I should be ready to start it up. I hope to christ I got the timing belt on correctly and hopefully my car won't have any stupid gay problems when I first try to start it. I won't be able to drive it til wednesday b/c I had to order a new drivers axle b/c i noticed a tear in the boot.<p>
I'm going to be writing a how-to for this swap with tips that will help future KLZE'ers swaps go more smoother and hopefully prevent them from messsing anything up.<p>But all in all, i'm surprised how long and tedious it was to replace all the **** and swap all the **** onto the KLZE.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”