Why does the KLZE run RICH with the 1.8ECU?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Why does the KLZE run RICH with the 1.8ECU?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I was talking with my dad about my KLZE swap, and i told him all im waiting for doing it is the KLZE ECU, and my mechanic to come back from vacation on the 23rd and that i'll be doing the swap with or withough the ECU, it'll just run rich.<p>He said, since its a bigger engine, it should run lean, which makes sence...so why does it run rich with the 1.8ECU?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: Why does the KLZE run RICH with the 1.8ECU?

Post by Zoso124 »

Fuel maps and curves are higher on the smaller engine. Doesnt always mean your gonna run rich though, for now just use a KLDE VAF and you'll be fine.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

right now im running my ze with kl ecu and kl maf and it runs fine, not running rich or lean at all, i was using the 1.8 maf with kl ecu and my car was eatn to much gas and now im able to get atleast 200 miles with full tank.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

for one different fuel maps and another the ecu thinks its using smaller injectores.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

What do you mean rich? I know a little about engines but not all the tech. info or abbreviations. :shrug:
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

the ratio of air to fuel, more gas then air = Rich, more air then gas = lean, equal = stoich.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

The K8 ecu is actually tuned more agressively than the KL ecu it provides more fuel and more timing advance. I can't get the dyno charts but 93mx3gsr (kl+no2) showed them too me at one point in time. Unfortunately he sold his low 13 sec MX and built a 9 sec Mustang.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
precidian

Post by precidian »

after I did the swp ...I was running the ZE with the 1.8L ECU and also the 18L VAF. The car was running really rich. The a/f gauge was always buried on the rich side and never really moving from that spot.My performance wasn't great and a 2 hour drive would pretty much empty my tank.<p>Then I talked with a few people they suggested that I try the 2.5L VAF from a Ford Probe. I was a little skeptical about it.... but after installation the results were amazing. The car is running really smooth , the A/F gauge is actually doing full sweeps. The mileage now is better than it ever was with the 1.8L engine...
I drove to Carlisle PA. and then back home (london,ON,Canada) without any issue.Even to my surprise, I was able to make it back home from Carlisle with only two tanks of gas....<p>cheers,<p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: precidian ]</p>
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

so Precidian you kept the K8 ecu?
precidian

Post by precidian »

the 1.8 ECU is still in....<p>cheers,
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”