CEL codes 4 & 5

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SimonPK

CEL codes 4 & 5

Post by SimonPK »

I tried firing up my KLZE this evening and it nearly caught on the first turn. It seems to fire once or twice and that's it - it then is dead! There is a good spark from each plug lead and gas is getting through ok as the plugs are damp (not soaking wet). I checked the firing order which I hope is the same as the K8 as I put the K8 distributor on and used the numbers on the cap to connect up. I got piston number 1 to TDC and set the static timing to 10 degrees is this ok? The timing belt was changed and checked several times as I see from past posts this can go wrong! The codes that come out are 04 & 05. Any idea what I should be looking for first?<p>thanks!
Sonicxtacy02

Re: CEL codes 4 & 5

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

are you sure you dont have the timing 180 degrees off. Thats been a common problem amongst installers.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

That makes sense - can I just the distributor out and put the drive gear around by 180 degress?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

won't happend the way the cam is cut and the way the slot is made on the end if the disty won't let it fit both ways. If you look real close one tab is bigger then the other.<p>When you set the timing, I assume you used a timing light, did you jumper the TEN and GND?<p>[ July 10, 2003: Message edited by: Zoso124 ]</p>
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

No I didn't use a timing light as the engine won't run yet. So If I connect my timing light to #1 plug lead and turn the engine with the ignition on, this should give a light as #1 piston comes to TDC - right? If it doesn't I have to rotate the engine another 360 degrees to make sure #1 is about to fire? Then I'll get the light?<p>I've looked on the on-line manual and it doesn't say what to do if the distributor is taken out and the timing needs to be reset. I think it assumes the engine hasn't been rotated,<p>thanks!
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

or is this an incorrectly set timing belt problem?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Nope, the light won't flash until you have no.1 cylinder firing. If you just have the igition on the disty isn't going to pass current to each spark plug. If you know you put the timing belt on right I don't think your problem is with cam or ignition timing. Set the disty in about the middle in its range of position and go from there.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

ok - I'll give that a go - probably Friday night now,<p>thanks!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”