Protege ES 99 -> MX-3 V6 GS 93

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
krakerjaak

Protege ES 99 -> MX-3 V6 GS 93

Post by krakerjaak »

Hi,<p>I need your advice...
I have a possibility of changing my Mazda Protege 99 ES (valued around 7500$ CAN) to an MX-3 V6 GS 1993 (for 5500$ CAN)<p>Do you think it's a good move ?
The MX-3 is definitely more agressive (and powerful) than the Protege... but only you guys can tell me more about reliability of such an old car (9 and almost 10 years old !!)<p>Thanks !!
Balhirath

Re: Protege ES 99 -> MX-3 V6 GS 93

Post by Balhirath »

I think it depends on how it's been treated and so I can only talk for myself when I say, that I have never driven a car that is more reliable than the MX-3.
The only thing that I can think off that should make you consider the deal is the timing belt. Make sure that it have been changed recently, coz the engine-bay in the MX-3 is packed and I think that the various shops charge like 5 hours to change it. So unless you can change it yourself, make sure that it have been change recently.
Or, since there is quite a difference in price, have the current owner of the MX-3 change it, before you trade the car.<p>However I've only had my car a little more than a year, so perhaps some of the people who have had a MX-3 for a longer time can add something to this
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

I think it depends on how it's been treated and so I can only talk for myself when I say, that I have never driven a car that is more reliable than the MX-3.
The only thing that I can think off that should make you consider the deal is the timing belt. Make sure that it have been changed recently, coz the engine-bay in the MX-3 is packed and I think that the various shops charge like 5 hours to change it. So unless you can change it yourself, make sure that it have been change recently.
Or, since there is quite a difference in price, have the current owner of the MX-3 change it, before you trade the car.<p>However I've only had my car a little more than a year, so perhaps some of the people who have had a MX-3 for a longer time can add something to this
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I dont think it even gets as far as how well the Mx3 was treated... you have a car that admittedly is worth more than the one he has, sell it outright to someone who will give you what it is worth. Then take that money and find yourself a good Mx at a fair price. You may come out way ahead doing that versus trading for a car that, while you do want it, is worth $2000 less than the car you have now. Arent you in Canada? From what I understand you guys up there cant walk to the bathroom in the dark without tripping over someones Mx3... dont screw yourself out of $2000, Mx3's arent that rare. For that 2 grand you could save you could get yourself a KLZE to drop in the Mx. Nope I would pass on this offer if I was you.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Oh and yes my Mx3 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned... going on 10 years now and it is bulletproof as ever. However I have the 1.6 not the V6. I guy I used to worth with had owned both a GS and the 1.6 at the same time and said his 1.6 was far more reliable than his V6. He said he would never buy another V6 Mx3, he had nothing but problems with it ( I dont know how many miles he put on it and I dont remember if he bought it new or not.. he moved I dont talk to him very often anymore). I do remember him saying his V6 was MUCH more fun to drive, but he prefered the 1.6 because, in his words, he knew he was going to get where he was going to...maybe he just got a lemon. Go to the V6 technical section and put in a post there about how good they are, I'm sure a lot of the guys will say its been great for them. I am only going on what my friend said, but he is the only person I know who had a GS, everyone else I know with a Mx3 has the 1.6..........
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I've had my GS for quite a while. The only problems I have had with her is the clutch and tranny are going, (my driving habits are responsible) the intake tube is cracking, (gunna get a CAI) and my water pump died. Other than that, she's good as new. I need a tune up since I havn't gotten one since I bought the car, but I keep her oil clean, and her outside sparkling. If you take care of the car, the car will take care of you. That really goes for any car you buy.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by guyaverage:
I dont think it even gets as far as how well the Mx3 was treated... you have a car that admittedly is worth more than the one he has, sell it outright to someone who will give you what it is worth. Then take that money and find yourself a good Mx at a fair price. You may come out way ahead doing that versus trading for a car that, while you do want it, is worth $2000 less than the car you have now. Arent you in Canada? From what I understand you guys up there cant walk to the bathroom in the dark without tripping over someones Mx3... dont screw yourself out of $2000, Mx3's arent that rare. For that 2 grand you could save you could get yourself a KLZE to drop in the Mx. Nope I would pass on this offer if I was you.<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah. I overlooked that point :)
Guyaverage is completely right. There's no need to loose 2K.
red-mx3

Post by red-mx3 »

The mx3 is a great car, and very reliable. But I completely agree with guyaverage, I also think you are undervalueing your '99 protege, checking autotrader they go for more than 7500. unless yours has a reason to be lower priced .... IMHO of course.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”