Buying KL-ZE this week at engine land !

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Max

Buying KL-ZE this week at engine land !

Post by Max »

Hey, <p>well i'm fibally getting my ZE. There asking
1100$ CAN !!! which is awesome and 200 $ CAN for the ECU ! <p>Well they have 10 in stock and im going up sat to choose one. Need a bit of help to make sure i don't get screwed.<p>-Check the heads KL31-1A1 & KL31-101
-ZE IM mani has a longer neck
-Can't check the cams over there...
-TB should read KL31
What else can i look for ?
oil residue (leaks), makes sure pullies are not damage ? any other sugestions?<p>The ECU
-KL36 <p>I also just got a MS8 mani so it would fit and the code on the TB is KL68.. Is that right ?
Max

Re: Buying KL-ZE this week at engine land !

Post by Max »

Oh and one more thing,
Since my car is an ODB 1<p>Would it be alright to get get an ODB 2 KL-ZE ?<p>Are there anyways to tell them apart ? <p>Thanks

Post by Guest »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Max:
Oh and one more thing,
Since my car is an ODB 1<p>Would it be alright to get get an ODB 2 KL-ZE ?<p>Are there anyways to tell them apart ? <p>Thanks
<hr></blockquote><p>
Sorry I just wanna jump in and ask whats the difference, I dont even know what odb 1 and 2 is? Thanks i just wanna know since im doing a winter swap, thanks bud.<p>Oh and i think your off to a better start then most since you get to go pick your engine!" :p
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I never heard of an OBDII ZE imported in to the states. But if you did happend to find one I wouldn't use any of the sensors, I'd swap them over from the 1.8L.<p>Most all MS8 intakes are the same unless its got an EGR bolted on the back of it. I wouldn't worry about the TB, just make sure you use the one from the MS8 Intake because the one from the straight neck wont work, because the connector for the IAC is on the left, you need it to be on the right.<p>If you can get the KL31 ecu.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

)Only a car's ECU can be OBD I or OBD II, not the engine.<p>) all MX-3s from 91-95 are OBD I.
The 1996 MX-3 in canada is OBD II.<p>
The KL-31 ECU comes from the 6 series cars from japan, and they NEVER came with OBD II because that is only for North American cars(we have OBD II connector, EGR valves, CEL light, and various other emissions related components, and japan dont, thats part of OBD II)
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

crap, there are two different ECU types? i didnt know that.<p>How can you tell the ECU types apart?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Post by Guest »

Man can you let me know how you make out asap, because I was wondering about buying one from them.
Cage

Post by Cage »

You have the stamping correct on the heads, but the TB will not be stamped KL-31. The TB will not be stamped with a number that will help you. Most KLZE are automatics so look for the flexplate where the flywheel should be. Look for the above mentioned stamping and no egr. If your going to put this in a Mx-3 then you need the curved neck eunos 800 KL-ZE. I would not buy it if they are un-willing to remove 11 bolts so you can look at the cams. However the cams don't tell the whole story. Cams will say KL-31 Or like mine KL-01(more torque) (less HP). Avoid KL-03 This is a KLD.<p>Good Luck
Cage
shocker

Post by shocker »

where is this engine land place? is there a web site or phone number for them? anyone have it?
thanks
"Racing a Honda is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded."

Post by Guest »

did you end up buying the ZE or no.
Postman2K

Post by Postman2K »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Max:
Hey, <p>well i'm fibally getting my ZE. There asking
1100$ CAN !!! which is awesome and 200 $ CAN for the ECU ! <p>Well they have 10 in stock and im going up sat to choose one. Need a bit of help to make sure i don't get screwed.<p>-Check the heads KL31-1A1 & KL31-101
-ZE IM mani has a longer neck
-Can't check the cams over there...
-TB should read KL31
What else can i look for ?
oil residue (leaks), makes sure pullies are not damage ? any other sugestions?<p>The ECU
-KL36 <p>I also just got a MS8 mani so it would fit and the code on the TB is KL68.. Is that right ?
<hr></blockquote><p>hey max, its Postman2k, i drive the laguna blue mx-3 with bodykit/GTR wing here in Ottawa, you might have seen me around. let me know how everything goes, 'cos i'm planing to do a swap as well.
2007 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Phantom Blue Mica) - DAILY DRIVER
2004 Mazda3 GT Hatchback (Passion Lava Orange) - FOR SALE
1994 Mazda Mx-3 GS (Laguna Blue) - RETIRED/JUNKED
1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS (Dark blue) - SOLD
Max

Post by Max »

Hey guys,<p>Well I went to engine land and pick up my ZE. Paid 1100 $ for engine, and 200$ for ZE ECU(canadian $). The guys were nice, i picked the one i wanted. They were all a little dirty but no biggy. The one i chose was in decent shape, i'm going to rebuild it anyways, port and polish the heads, regrind cams, new retainers, and new pumps, gasket etc.... They have alot of ZE and I looked at a few of them and they all checked out as ZE, (Except for one that was a KF-ZE) they won't scam you. <p>They also had the MS8 ZE (curved neck) but i heard stories about the cams being kl01 in those therefore i chose one with a straight neck IM. Everything checked out kl31 101 and kl31 1A1 on the heads, cams were kl31. The engine was from an automatic, they would not part the 5 speed tranny from the ZE, so if your just buying the engine it's an automatic. The ZE with 5 speed went for 1700 $ CAN witch is still good.<p>When i took off the valve cover the cams were in perfect condition, there was a little bit of sludge, i've seen cleaner ZE's. (anyways to get everything cleaned ?) The ZE is going to be in the car next summer. It's in pieces right now heads are coming off next week. I'm going to buy all the parts i need this summer and unleash a beast next year ! watch out !<p>I'll take some pics when i have a second.<p>I also have a ZE manifold for sale if anybody has a probe or MX-6 let me know, i picked up a MS8 from Sean M.<p>And for the ottawa Mx-3's, my GS is Silver and looks stocks i have a Brullen cat-back with twin tips (really nice deep sound) hope to meet some of you. :D
raidermaniac

Post by raidermaniac »

hey max just wondering,you say you bought the ze with the straight neck IM instead of the ms8 curved neck IM because of the different cams,could you tell me whats the difference between the two cams,and isn't the ms8 curved neck the one i need to fit in my mx-3?and when i called yesterday about the ze to see about shipping the guy there told me the engines are $1200 can. is there someone there i should ask for specifically to get it for $1100?
all i ask is that morgan die in a car crash
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ya, i called them up today too, im gonna send payment tomorrow, im not gonna haggle over $100 anyway<p>Also, how expensive/easy would it be to change the kl01 cams to kl31? Or would it be cheeper to get a KLZE with the straight neck and just change the IM later? It doesnt really make a noticable difference between both KL01 and KL31 KLZE's?<p>Actually, i did a search and found the "earth is round vs earth is flat" thread, and due to the minimal if any, controvertial difference, im gonna get the curved neck, but still just wondering, arethe cams changeable?<p>[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Max

Post by Max »

When you call them up ask for Zaphir, ask him for a price, if they don't tell you what you want to hear tell that one of your buddies got one for 1100$. When i called the week before i went they told me 1100 $ ! The cams kl01 are found in the millineas and kl-03, which i find weird, cause that would mean the MS8 KLZE has the same cams as the US engines... Some people have different opinions about this. I did not want to take a chance therefore i bought a MS8 manifold + KLZE with straight neck and i'm just gonna swap the IM. I just have to sell the other one now... <p>I just wanted to make sure i had a real ZE. I also bought a set of KL-03 cams (sould be here anyday now) and im going to get those regrinded by Mike Seli, once i get get them dynoed then i'll sell the kl31 cams to someone with a kl03. If i would of bought the MS8 ZE and gotten the kl01 cams and wanted to sell them after no one would believed that they are true ZE cams.<p>Max

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”