Grinding in whel when turning left

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93MX3SpecialEdition

Grinding in whel when turning left

Post by 93MX3SpecialEdition »

Hi.<p>When I turn left in my car, it grinds if I corner too hard. You can hear it and feel it a bit. It doesn't sound good.<p>Anyone know what it is and if it is expensive to fix?<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Grinding in whel when turning left

Post by Mnemonic »

Sounds like Cv joints to me, after awhile they start to go out and you will hear the poping sound (or grinding sound) gonna cost you roughly anywhere from 100-200 dollers to have replaced.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

That's what i was thinking also. Only thing is, CV joints usually make more of a clicking or popping noise. Can you specify what the noise sounds like?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Definitely your CV joint. The MX-3 is famous for having those go out when the car gets a little old (like all ours are). Luckily it is not a ton of money to get them replaced.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
markV6

Post by markV6 »

I just ordered a cv-joint for my car.
when i go around corners the front wheel on the left hand side seems to grind also. It makes the car judder a real lot even when i turn it straight again. It does this until i slow down a little and stop accelerating. then it's ok after that.
I got the cv-joint just in case it is that because when i strip it down i need to get it sorted. the cv-joint cost me 70 pounds :mad:
SeaGreenGS

Post by SeaGreenGS »

Dude .. does the grinding come from the front or the back wheel. If, it's the back, it could be a seized rotor ... how are your breaks ..
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

seized caliper? or warped rotor? I don't think rotors seize. I already replaced my axle twice, I'm guessing that's what it is. It's not a very hard job to do yourself if you wanted to give it a shot. It'll probably save you some cash.<p>Reach your hand behind the tire, and see if there's a crack/hole in the CV boot. There's a good chance that there is.<p>[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]</p>
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
sheller

Post by sheller »

As of yesterday I finally got the vibration that has been plaguing for 2 months fixed. I had to replace the right axle (I'd already replaced the left axle, motor mounts, sway bar linkages, and sway bar bushings). I had what you are describing...a vibration (that could be felt through the floor and steering as well as heard) when I turned to the left. The right axle was replaced just before I bought the car last year but it looks like the one they put on was just a little too long. So, on the left turns it caused it to bind a little. It wasn't "bad" per say so it behaved a bit differently than they normally do when needing to be replaced. The axles cost me $150/side to replace. Hope this helps.
Steve
red-mx3

Post by red-mx3 »

From what you describe it could also be wheel bearings, less expensive than CV joints.
Pearl-JapSpec

Post by Pearl-JapSpec »

ya bearings is what i was thinkin
Car Out Of Order For Now...
2 weeks In counting till re-incarnation!!
New G-Force Front Bumper!!
-_-_-_- Pics On Site -_-_-_-
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3_junkee
onelovemx3

Post by onelovemx3 »

i was thinking wheel bearings also bc mine r bad not bad enough to make noise yet but they need replacing . test: grab your tire with fingers in bnetween tread while tires are on ground in park. then push on it it and if it clicks or gives alil bit then its your wheel bearings try it with all of them maybe even your half shafts going out too theyll be like a black bootie thing covering teh shaft going into your wheel hub underneath. if its ripped see if the grease is black if so its bad. if its not riped its good but if its ripped and its green grease still good. well hope this helps to get my half shaft and wheel bearings done on my drivers side only is 350 and thats with 30 % off everything bc i know the guy :) but hes the only one thatll touch my car round here.
92 Mazda MX-3 1.8 Litre V6, custom cat back exhaust with Ractive muffler, NGK spark plug wires,white interior, stock gs rims w/ lo profile cooper zeon tires, (recommend those tires awesome handling and smooth ride, expensive though), altezzas, (thnx omenmx3). thats all for now folks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”