Timing belt cover

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cage

Timing belt cover

Post by Cage »

I always see honda engines running with out their timing belt cover... what are the dangers and why would it be a horable idea to leave the cover off? <p>Cage
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Timing belt cover

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

moisture, debris may enter the area causin you a big repair bill. Why do you want to remove it?
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Cage

Post by Cage »

It's not that I want to remove it ...it's that I don't want to put it back on hehe.. I about to change the Water pump and the Timing belt. I was just curious as to why modded honda's don't have the cover on. didn't know if it was a Vtech thing ..OMG I sad a bad word :p <p>Cage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

oh cmon man! Your doin all the work of a timing belt and water pump and ur too lazy to put the cover back on! No honestly, if you leave it off your only increasing the risk that you'll do damage to anything in that area.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Cage

Post by Cage »

no ...not to lazy to put it on I was just kidding ... it was hard (very)hard getting it off and even harder puting it back on! :) Mostly this post was questing why hondas don't have theirs on but we do. Is it their more flash and show and we are all about reliablity ?? Are hondas less at risk in that area ? ...All of my bearings are flashrusted on the outside surface...the housing doesn't make a real good air tight seal ...so if water or whatever got in there wouldn't it take 3 times as long to dry out? ..I was looking at my timing belt that I bought and I was looking at the timing belt that is on the ZE....The Ze belt looks like it is made better :confused: I still changed it to the one I bought...hope I made the right choice... Also I read a post from Lazzyie that said that the date the engine was made would be stamped on one of the lash adjust ?? Wasn't there! hmmm<p>Cage
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Flash and show?? why else would you buy a Honda!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

timing belt tensioner had a date on it :shrug: lash adjusters are in your heads, pray that you got the damn timing belt lined up right
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Sorry,I ment the timing belt tensioner ..guess i been breathing to many fumes from the brake parts cleaner :D ..he said no problem he is going to shave 3 LBS (he thinks) $120
.00 (2 hours labor)..better than spending $320.00 on a aluminum flywheel. (I hope)! I really didnt want to get an 11 LB aluminum not only because of the price, but also due to the ruff idel...My wife is going to have to drive this sometimes....The van is in a coma for the time being. I would have scoped out a machine shop sooner, but the van dieing was kinda sudden.
Tomorrow:
1)The clutch and flywheel
2)new oil pan gasket.
3)Valve cover gasket.
4)Replace pully on PS with K8 ..ZE is chipped
5)bolt bellhousing to engine
6)?????<p>Question:
Knock sensor ...Not gonna replace it...Don't need to right?? I am useing a J-spec KL-36 Ecu. <p>Thanks !
Cage
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Aren't MX-3 flywheels only 9 lbs???<p>If so, why bother with a PGT flywheel at all, or an aluminum one???<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Cage

Post by Cage »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Aiden:
Aren't MX-3 flywheels only 9 lbs???<p>If so, why bother with a PGT flywheel at all, or an aluminum one???<p>~A<hr></blockquote><p>
The Mx-3 Flywheel is 18LBS The 2.5 probe flywheel is 21 lbs ....The theory is it alows for faster angular acceleration...(your car will rise in RMP's faster). This mod help's in acceleration...sometimes it hurts because you can't get traction at the wheels because of the sudden burst. Don't quote me here, but for every pound of flyweel you shave it is equal to removing 100 pounds of weight(in relation to acceleration). This only applies to the acceleration rate not the over all Hp rating ...the reason is the disk that you lightened is now moving ...it's all about inertia. What will my hp gains be ?? who knows ? maybe 1-2 Hp in low gears w/ 5-10lbs of torque...just a guess!
pelado

Post by pelado »

Move knock sensor connector over to timing cover side, that's where the connector is on the wiring harness. My ZE had the sensor connector on the trans side. You don't have to disconnect anything (hopefully, check the connectors) just move it.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

I've been to many car shows, but never seen a car with the whole timing belt cover off. The usually take off the part that covers the cam pulleys so you can adjust them (on hondas, and supras). That's the only reason. Mx3 timing belt covers are just 2 parts that cover everything, while on hondas the top part that covers the cam gears can be taken off...
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”