anyone ever bored out their 1.8 TB 60mm

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mattster

anyone ever bored out their 1.8 TB 60mm

Post by mattster »

as the topic states, i was wondering since all the KL guys like to put 65mm TB's in place of 60mm, has anyone ever pulled this on the 55mm K8 TB? is there a possible HP/Torque gain here? would there need to be any adjustments, fuel management wise, to make up for the extra volume?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
sheller

Re: anyone ever bored out their 1.8 TB 60mm

Post by sheller »

Corksport sells bored out throttle bodies. There is supposed to be some gain from it but probably not huge amounts. I don't believe you need to make any other adjustments either. Call Corksport and they can talk to you more about it.<p>Steve
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I've never done it, but on a KL engine it made a gain of about 3-4 HP(if i remember correctly). I would imagine you would get similar gains from a k8. David posted the dyno sheet a little while back, u should be able to find it.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

just bolt on a 60mm one from a KL insted of boreing out a K8 one.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I dont believe they will match up
mattster

Post by mattster »

yes, if the KL Throttle body matches the K8 manifold it would make life alot easier. but from what ive heard they don't, meaning boreing is the only option for the K8 TB :( . i searched the corksport website and it don't sell bored MX-3 TB's, it looks like they are only selling the KL's. so my only hope is to get it bored out myself, right?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Unless you get a KL IM :)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

My K8 throttle body and my KL-ZE throttle body interchange with no problems, I have the millenia KL-ZE(curved neck).
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

They do interchange, i have had a kl tb my k8 throttle body and 2 ze throttle bodies on my intake manifold.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

To have your TB bored out would most likely cost less than buying a larger TB.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
To have your TB bored out would most likely cost less than buying a larger TB.<hr></blockquote><p>? you can probably get a used throttle body from a local wrecker for around $25-$50. to bore out a throttle body, first you have to find someone to take it apart, have the proper machine to bore it EXACTLY center, then make a new throttle blade with the proper size bleed holes in it(the little holes in the blade to let a little air get past) and re-assemble it all. sounds like more than $50.00 to me.
Yes, I AM a bastard

andy

Post by andy »

I just recently bolted a KL TB (60mm) unto my K8 intake. I don't know what model car it came from but it looks like the ones pictured on the probe GT intakes. The problem is not the 4 bolt holes pattern, that is a match. the biggest problem is the IAC solenoid, it is on the opposite side vs the K8 TB. and to make matters worse the connector going into the IAC is pointing straight down into one of the coolant hoses. With the KL TB
held in place by my vice I had to rotate the solenoid 90 degrees. because I was using the phenolic spacer I had to grind away some of the fitting the coolant hoses go into.
Its been a little over a week and I still can't get the car to idle right. The idle is fine right up until the a/c kicks in then whatever is suppose to adjust the idle is not . I have been thru the idle settup process many times and have fiddled with the idle set screw and volume screw.
I'm going to the 1/4 mile track tonight to test out the Phenolics and TB.
I should mention that I like the TB on there and will keep trying until I figure out how to get it to idle with the a/c on.
Andy P. 93 GS
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Sure, you can always get a KL throttle body for like $50 usd. The problem is that junkyards are smart enough to charge $75 for the IAC and TPS (seperately). I believe you need to exchange those when you switch throttle bodies. The electronics will always be more valuable than the engine part they connect to. Simply because the electronics are more prone to failure, so they can make more money.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

so you swap over the tps and Iac from your k8 :)
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

You sure they work? I heard that the sensors will send different readings to the ECU. Andy said he already had trouble when he kept his IAC.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”