Where's all my coolant going?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Where's all my coolant going?

Post by wyldside »

I've got some issues with my GS. I'm loosing lots of coolant and I don't know where it's going. There is nothing on the ground and no discoloration in my oil or coolant...well, what's left of it. I usually have to fill it daily. I've even replace the water thermostat not too long ago. Has someone had a very similar problem. Last night my engine overheated really bad and I think it's probably going to need a swap in the summer. Can anyone help?
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
mzdspd

Re: Where's all my coolant going?

Post by mzdspd »

well i don't have to refil mine everyday but about once a month i do. when i first fill mine up as the engine heats it forces some out of the overflow container. it does this while i drive thats why u prob don't see it if its doing the same thing. well after it doesn't have enough coolant to do that anymore it just gradually dissapears until the engine overheats and i add more. i have no discolorations either so i don't know where it is goin but i am having a similar problem. i was told that it means u need a headgasket. i think i am just gonna save for a swap because of the ungoldy price to get a headgasket put on.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

HEs probaly right. It sounds like ur coolant is leaking through your head gasket and your burning it up. Have a friend sit in your car and rev it, while you observe the color of the smoke. Look for a whitish color. If you see that, then that is probaly the problem.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

Check your oil, if it looks a little green, thats probably where the coolant is going, probably meaning the head gasket. Thats the worst case scenerio.
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I'll have to take another look when I get home. I've replaced all the cheap stuff so I'm also thinking that it's the head gasket. I don't know why this stuff always happens when I'm broke. Grrrr.... Could it also be the water pump? Does anyone know how much a rad presurizer costs? I did a compression test not too long ago and all the cylinders were a bit low but still with limits. Do you think that swaping the engine with a ZE would be an all around better route to go?<p>[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</p>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

I had a similar issue where I could not figure where my water was going. turned out to be the metal pipe that goes into the thermostat housing. it had corroded past the seal. I could smell it was leaking coolant but could not see it. It was running onto the block and tranny and evaporating before it hit the ground.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Nope not that. Looks all nice and shiny and not a trace of mosture anywhere around it.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

curtklze

Post by curtklze »

The rad cap(the cap by the rad, not the on on the engine) has a pressure sensitive valve in it to let coolant go into the recovery bottle when it reaches a certian pressure(usually around 13-16 psi). if the cap is no good it may be letting the coolant out when the pressure reaches only 5-10 psi, also some times they stick open, they hit 14 psi onpen let the pressure out but dont close untill the press hits 5 psi, this causes you coolant to overflow the recovery bottle and spill onto the ground as you drive.<p>when the engine cools down the coolant gets sucked back into the engine and leaves the bottle empty.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

well im pretty sure mines the head gasket and if its the water ump u will be able to tell cause a lot of coolant will come out around it.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Hmmm, I'll have to check into that other rad cap. I'm guessing I'll have to get it from Mazda since everone else just carries the primary rad cap. I guess it isn't the water pump then. I hope this won't be expensive...
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Oliver

Post by Oliver »

If your exhaust is white, you most likly have a cracked head. If thats the case, i can't see it being a cheep fix knowing how much the head gaskets cost. A bad head gasket i don't think will leak coolent into your engine, but will blow air into your coolent system. Once again, just throwing out some ideas.
mattster

Post by mattster »

not all "white" smoke is bad, it may be water condensation in the tailpaipe burning off.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

Change the Thermostat. Make sure you get the one from Mazda. I at first got one from autozone and installed it. Had the same problems your taking about. I replace both rad caps and that didn't fix it so I went to mazda and bought their thermostat which was about $20, poped it in and fixed all my problems.. So I would start with that or the rad caps first.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Here's a list of all the things I've done to try and fix it.<p>- Replaced Thermostat - From Mazda<p>- Tightened hoses<p>- Changed main rad cap on passenger side<p>- Flushed all fluid and replaced with fresh stuff.<p>- Checked for Coolant in oil (found none).<p>- Checked Radiator for oil (found none)<p>- Checked exhaust and noticed it is somewhat whitish but I don't smell anything unusual about it. The color is hard to check since it has been so cold lately.<p>
I want to try the secondary rad cap but I'm still thinking that it's the head gasket. I'm sure the head gasket's condition is no hell, especially since it was over-heated badly the other night. These engines don't like being cooked. Since the Head Gasket is so much of a pain in the butt and expensive, I might just throw a J-spec 2.0L in. I can't afford a ZE.<p>[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</p>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

andy

Post by andy »

you could pull the spark plugs and check them for discoloration. If your burning antifreeze the plugs can be another indicator. You will usually see two plugs side by side that are cleaner and a funky color when compared to the other four cylinders.
If all six look identical, maybe you don't have a head gasket leak.
It would be a good time to do the compression test again.<p> Andy P. 93 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”