bad mileage due to....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cashmoneyspeed

bad mileage due to....

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

Recently it started getting down to about 10 degrees farenheit and my car's idle fluctuated from 1400 to 2200 rpm when i start it in the morning. sometimes it does this while im driving, which is pretty scary. My gas mileage has also gone down to about 16 mpg. I am wondering if all this is caused by my "TB bypass" (i have new o2 sensors, plugs, wires, air filter) so can this mod cause bad mileage in severe cold weather? :eek:
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
Manach

Re: bad mileage due to....

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed:
Recently it started getting down to about 10 degrees farenheit and my car's idle fluctuated from 1400 to 2200 rpm when i start it in the morning. sometimes it does this while im driving, which is pretty scary. My gas mileage has also gone down to about 16 mpg. I am wondering if all this is caused by my "TB bypass" (i have new o2 sensors, plugs, wires, air filter) so can this mod cause bad mileage in severe cold weather? ;)
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

it's the bypass.<p>you should hear it at -20<p>I was going to put a on/off valve in the bypass line
13.023 @ 105 mph
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

What is the typical mileage you guys are getting on your V6s? I'm here in cold cold Michigan, and I'm only getting around 25 miles per gallon. This is with mostly highway driving too...I have the 5 speed manual. What do you guys think?
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

i was getting about 23 highway mpg until a few weeks ago when i noticed this drastic change. I hope putting the coolant lines back on the TB fix my problem. I don't understand why the 7 mpg decrease could be related only to this though.
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

I know this may sound crazy, but I get 330km per tank (city), no matter what the temperature or how hard I drive it. It's friggin cold here too. I put in 37 liters at everytime I go to the gas station.
singsingevil

Post by singsingevil »

I guess then my car really has problem ... cuz it only has 15 mpg (optimistically). It's a auto V6 and I live in Chicago area too..but there is a problem .. i just failed the emission test .. guess that explains the bad mileage for me? :\
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

singsingevil, there is definately a problem because i was getting 21-23 mpg doing 80% highway driving up until a few weeks ago. Let me know when you figure out whats wrong thatz causing you to get bad mileage.

treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

UoMDeacon: Where you live? Obviously you go to UofM, but do you live somewhere else in Michigan otherwise? I am in Saginaw. There is a local "gathering" of tuner cars. About 150 on any given summer night. In the car capitol of the world that Michigan is, most people have domestics. I am one of the few "ricers". Haven't seen any MX3s around in the state, so just curious.
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by singsingevil:
I guess then my car really has problem ... cuz it only has 15 mpg (optimistically). It's a auto V6 and I live in Chicago area too..but there is a problem .. i just failed the emission test .. guess that explains the bad mileage for me? :\<hr></blockquote><p>If your car is idling bad and you're getting bad mileage and possible loss of power, check your vacuum lines for leaks.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
g3939

Post by g3939 »

WELL WELL. I just moved to virginia beach.It snowed the day I arrived and my mx-3's idle started to jump. i thought this was something I wouldn't be able to figure out, these forums are great. I love my MX-3!!!!!!!
Misery loves company
harold stephens
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jpwmx3:
I know this may sound crazy, but I get 330km per tank (city), no matter what the temperature or how hard I drive it. It's friggin cold here too. I put in 37 liters at everytime I go to the gas station.<hr></blockquote><p>That's about what I get with my Auto.
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

I was getting about 21 to 23 mpg though with all the same stuff done to it up until a few weeks ago. So there definatley seems to be a problem because it was such a drastic drop. Still haven't found a solution yet.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”