Oil Filter Size

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SimonPK

Oil Filter Size

Post by SimonPK »

Does anybody know what the biggest oil filter than can be fitted to 1.8 V6?<p>A part number would be good as well. Will there be any problems if a bigger filter is fitted Amsoil do a SDF13 for US$13 that takes about 3 times the oil?<p>Anybody got any views?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Oil Filter Size

Post by mitmaks »

hey thought about that too, cause if i get more oil in engine is good for racing, thus protecting engine supplying plenty of oil at high revs..
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Get an oil filter from a 90-95 Chevy Corvette ZR-1, its way bigger and fits fine. Coleman and I both use that size filter.<p>If you want to see the difference I have pictures, email me.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Won´t that bigger oil filter decrease the oil pressure on the system? Have you checked it ?
European Mx3 GsRT
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i think it wont cause u will be adding oil to contribute to bigger filter thus not letting it to decrease.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

just wondering about thingy that is in back of filter, when u mount filter on it opens and if u use diff oil filter it might not open, not letting oil pass through anyone thought of that? let me know
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

mitmarks if your talking about the drain back valve on the oil filter its not supposed to open
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I went to the fram site and the Corvette filter number is PH3985. Comparing it to the Mazda one it is bigger in diamter at 3 21/32" (mazda 2 11/16"). The gasket dimensions worry me though at 2 51/64" (Mazda 2 31/64") od & 2 27/64" (Mazda 2 7/32") id. and thickness 13/64" (Mazda 9/32").<p>Does any of that matter?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I don't know where you got those dimensions but that filter should work fine, I know I and Dave Coleman both have Corvette ZR1 filter our cars and they fit fine and not leaking any oil. But if I were you I would atleast use a AC Delco or STP filter. Fram filters are just plain cheap, I've worked in autoparts for the last 2 years and have cut many of them open and have always found Fram with the cheapest construction and the least amount of filtering material.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Could someone give the AC Delco part number for the correct filter. I actually bought one and changed my oil today but it wouldn't fit because the opening and threads were just slightly too small.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”