oil change question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chris Wilson

oil change question

Post by Chris Wilson »

how many quarts of oil is needed to do an oil change on a 1992 v6..
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: oil change question

Post by mitmaks »

4 quarts only, dont overfill it, unless its leaking/burning some oil, then u will have to add some later on, but id change all seals/gaskets
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

thanks
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

I am somewhat baffled. I have a 93 GS V6, and I have to put in about 5 1/2 quarts. That's what autozone told me, as well as other places. Why would it be different with a 92???
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

yea i need to put in about 5.5 too...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Page D2-5 of the manual says Dry Engine 5.2 quarts, oil change including filter 4.2 q, and that's exactly what mine took. The manual is for a '95 model, and mine's a '97. Maybe earlier engines have bigger oil pans?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

well i have 93 se and i always check by dipstick, so my advice is to check by your oil dipstick, unless you know that you have put in or someone did put in aftermarket oil pan to hold more oil for racing. my lexus uses 5 quarts though its 3.0 v6
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Just fill it till, after running the engine, it shows near the top of the fill line on the dip stick. Just like you fill your gas tank to the top... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Shouldn't you also wait a little while after running the engine so that most of the oil has a chance to drip down and give you an accurate reading?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

For the record, when I said mine took 4.2 quarts, that's what I measured in, then I ran the engine, then left it for 2 hours, then checked the dipstick, and the level was exactly at the full mark. 400 miles later, its still there, so that's it, 4.2 quarts.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG>Shouldn't you also wait a little while after running the engine so that most of the oil has a chance to drip down and give you an accurate reading?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yes thats exactly how u do it, AFTER its been sitting for a while.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”