Weird RPM in idle!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kuruption1983

Weird RPM in idle!!

Post by kuruption1983 »

i have a 93 GS, and when i start the car and the temp outside is like 3 or 4 degrees, RPM will be @ 2500 and when the car finally warms up idle would be @ 1000 or 1500, would somebody help me with this problem, i have seen other GSs and their idle is high when they start, but later it comes down to like 300 or 400 over that white line between 0 and 1000 RPM!<P>any help will be appreciated, and forgot to mention, the damn thing has no problem and flies like a jet! amazing torque<P>thanx in advance<BR>latez :D :D
mx3_guy

Re: Weird RPM in idle!!

Post by mx3_guy »

hey, i also have a 93 gs, and i have the exact same problem when i start in cold weather. it idles realy high, but after comes down to 300 or 400. i have no idea why they idol high, but im sure its nothing serious, cause mine runs perfect too...
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

In cold weather the idle goes high, cause the auto choke kicks in. This lets you engine warm up so it doesn't die. Once warm should return to normal RPM level. Atleast this is what I was told..
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

no my problem is after my engine has been running for like half hour, the engine idles @ 1000 or 1200 RPM, wus wrong, but as i said engine runs amazingly! :D :D :D
Becker

Post by Becker »

Yur right it's just the electronic choke....every vehicle has them, even most vehicles carberators
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Stop complaining, its idling like that because its running. Lowest my car will idle is 600rpm and thats rare once it gets cold. Most cars idle around 1000rpm, some higher, some cars will die if they get below 1000rpm. Is you're engine quiet, does it run smoothly, is it idling at 2500rpm constantly? Those are the big questions.<P>There are way too many idle problem questions popping up at one time. Its winter, its cold, and so you don't stall at every stopsign or light your engine WILL idle high until it is warm enough for it not to be a problem. This topic deserves to be in the FAQ forum.
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

Id say you have an air leek in your inlet manifold or you tps wants adjusting..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”