MAD OIL LEAK!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pcperez83

MAD OIL LEAK!

Post by pcperez83 »

Hi guys, it's been a while since i've posted well after a long battle with Kramer Mazda (Calgary, Alberta), and 1200 dollars later they still can't figure out where the hell my oil leak is coming from! i dunno what the hell is going on. Has anyone on the board had a similar problem, or have any idea where the leak maybe coming from?<BR>Thanks : :confused:
Hy300

Re: MAD OIL LEAK!

Post by Hy300 »

Where did they check? Could be a lot of places
Shades

Post by Shades »

Best thing to do is to lift it up and see where it's coming from... if it's too dirty to do that, then go get some engine cleaner and spray it good and clean... then drive it around for a while and see where the oil is coming from.<P>You can't just say my engine has a leak and does anyone know how to find it... many places it could leak. Probably the only advice one could give you is to get a new engine...<P>What did Mazda do for $1200?...<P>Most common problems for oil leaks are distributor o-ring and valve cover gasket.<p>[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Shades ]
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

i've used an additive in the oil that glows in the blacklight. Just get a small bottle of leak detection oil (i know GM makes it)and add it to your oil. Check all your gaskets and seals. It shouldn't take to long to find it though.
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

Thats the best advice i have ever gotten, where do i Get this Type of oil additive, and how much? what color does it glow? <BR>and what the Geniuses at Kramer Mazda did to my car for $1200 bucks is a long story..<BR>i payed for a analysis so they can tell me where the oil is coming from, then i paid to get the head gaskets replaced, then after that it still wasn't leaking, then i paid, for a new valve cover because it was "cracked:, then i paid for new crank and cam seals.... yada yada yada, in the end the car still leaked like a MOFO, and i got nuthin.
mattster

Post by mattster »

i had a problem with a mass oil leak a while back... but im sure you would have checked this allready... when i changed the oil once, i accidently left the old oil filter seal on when i changed the filter. so it just so happens that the 2 seals held together for a day or 2. then all at once all of the oil came out while i was driving... talk about a bad day :(. just thought this might help.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

Yeah i'm pretty sure that i checked the oil seal to and it's not that, but my oil leak also started after I changed my oil. The "brains" at Kramer Mazda told me that there was no way that changing my oil could of done something to cause the leak but then again they're ****in retards, so it might be something i did but can't seem to figure out what.
Becker

Post by Becker »

Mine was leaking oil for a while, just had a rusted out oil pan and seals. Thought i'd mention it to give some ideas. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

after the oil change is when problems occurred? check to see if the o ring on the old filter stayed on and is now on the new one, that would make for a not so tight seal. did you change types of oil bc if you go from regular to a synthetic on a higher mileage vehicle, the synthetic leaks out a lot more than regular. valve cover gaskets go, cam seals.<BR>that blacklight oil additive sounds good.<BR>try like carparts.com or a local store<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
Taras

Post by Taras »

Actually, if you go from organic to synthetic it will not leak more, it is if you go the other way it may leak. Synthetic has additives that rubber get addicted to, so when you withdraw synthetic, rubber seals are hooked and want it, otherwise threaten to shrink and leak oil.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

I cant beleive that all these replies and no one suggested that the oil drain plug may be cross threaded. again not likely but just one of those crazy little things. <BR>(Not that anyone cares but I would refuse to spend $$$ on the 1.8 for an oil leak, I would save the $$$ keep adding oil untill the engine is gone then swap in the 2.5)
niskyspy

Post by niskyspy »

Just buy an KL-ZE enigne and have fun with it.
I like cars and girls!!!<BR>Thats what life is.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

well the kl-ze idea souds great, but i don't think my driveway can survive much more oil. So you think that going to synthetci might solve my problem? i highly doubt that. SHould i wait for the oil light to come on b4 i add more oil? how often should i add oil?
drewleedham

Post by drewleedham »

mine leaks oil, and i considered waiting to do the swap.

it's weird though, because although there isn't TONNES of oil on the driveway, when i run the car, it makes quite a bit of darkish smoke. it doesn't have any exhaust from the catback yet, but i was told that it doesn't matter, and it still shouldn't be burning like that, and that it must be burning oil.

i can see that there's oil leaking when i pop the hood though...
help?
FOR SALE: 93 MX-3 SE
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

If you wait for the oil light, It's too late... :eek:
You should be checking the dipstick, keep the oil between the low and full marks.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”