Changed axles.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-TC

Changed axles.

Post by MX-TC »

I had my axles changed a couple of weeks ago. BTW I must say it was an EASY job with the correct tools. (Thanks to Barry and his Air Compressor!) Well well pulling out the driver side axle some oil came out of the transmission and spilled all over Barry's garage! Well actually, it wasn't that much. Maybe a pint or two. I believe it is gear oil. My friend told me that I shouldn't worry about it, but since then I've noticed that second grinds when its cold. Should I worry about it? If so what kind of gear oil should I get and where do can I put it in?<BR>Thanks
andy

Re: Changed axles.

Post by andy »

for starters, Yes go ahead and change the fluid. try and get a synthetic oil, cost more but in the long run works better.<BR> The drain and fill plug are in the side facing the radiator. the fill plug is about half way up the tranny. I shouldn't have to say it but here goes anyways the drain plug is on the bottom front of the tranny ;) <BR> On another note this could be clutch related also.<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
MX-TC

Post by MX-TC »

Whats a good synthetic gear oil? Should I get the valvoline high milage gear oil? I must say, I am VERY pleased with this car. I've only had it for 2 months, and I've had to fix a couple of things, but nothing major. One of the main reasons I bought this car was because my parents got annexed into the city and I knew my old car wouldn't pass inspection, and I was a little worried this car wouldn't either because it was running a little rich. I took it to inspection the other day and passed with FLYING colors. Hydrocarbons were like .8 parts per million and CO2 was like .48%. I was really pleased. This week or next I plan on getting an alarm. I've been leaning more towards the UNGO 2007, any suggestions on alarms? Then its tinting the windows, and MP3 player for X-mas. :)
andy

Post by andy »

redline is supposed to be #1 but finding it locally is a challenge. If you don't mind ordering online and waiting thats the way to go.<BR> I used valvoline synthetic. Maybe at the next change interval I will order some before draining the old stuff :p <BR> If you already suspect worn syncros go with the redline. Just remember that as good as it is its not going to repair worn syncros, it might extend the life of them.<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Now Ken, you know u'r suppose to be using redline! We put that in Pauls car, too bad hes lost 3rd :)
MX-TC

Post by MX-TC »

He lost 3rd?!?!?! WTF? How did he do that? I gotta use your garage this weekend again if you don't mind. My g/f's car needs axles, and I wanna change out my VC gasket. I'm taking the pinstripe off my car tomorrow night. :) My friend has a stripe eraser at his shop.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

not a problem, have to be saturday. I work sunday because we installed a new fiber network and I have to make some network changes and swap everything over. Plus, My dad may be using my garage sunday to work on his tranny. <P>Dont pull a Daniel and leave your car @ my house for 3 days :)VC gasket may take 5 mins, if thats the front one. Go to the online manual and print out the bolt removal order as well as the torque specs for the bolts. I dont have a printer @ home so u'll have to print it. I dont have a Torque wrench. Maybe Daniel will let you use his. Call my cell when u can after 4 today. Got a q to ask you.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX-TC:<BR><STRONG>He lost 3rd?!?!?! WTF? How did he do that? I gotta use your garage this weekend again if you don't mind. My g/f's car needs axles, and I wanna change out my VC gasket. I'm taking the pinstripe off my car tomorrow night. :) My friend has a stripe eraser at his shop.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Racing... <BR>Ever since he got his ZE, hes got racing on his mind.
MX-TC

Post by MX-TC »

I'm bringing Daniel cuz hes doing the axles while I do the VC, that way I can borrow his tools too, because I don't have a torque wrench either. Plus he works alot faster than I do and I know he needs the $$$ cuz he aint got no J-O-B! Actually I think he told me that he's working somewhere in Southaven doing tear downs of engines or something, which is PERFECT for him cuz he can never remember how to put sh!t back together. I'll give you a holla when I get off work.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”