Coolant overflow?????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
andy

Re: Coolant overflow?????

Post by andy »

take it from me if its a blown head gasket not much worse can happen by driving a short distance. Just make sure the coolant level stays full and try not to overheat it again.<BR> I have a late 80's tbird in my driveway with 80k miles on the odometer and a blown head gasket. paid $50 for it from a coworker.<BR>drove it 20 miles home and used 1 gallon of water. Thats this weekends project. That motor doesn't show any oil in the coolant or the oil pan either. The coworker overheated it on the highway. His story sounds just like yours.<BR> I hope for your sake I'm wrong.<BR> :( <BR>Andy P. 93 GS
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

yea im about to drive 45 miles back home...but i got a 1/2 gallon of 50/50 coolant left....im about to go check for smoke and which way the coolant is flowing ....thanks for all the help guys...ill tell yall what happens when i get back home(in another hour)...hopefully i make it !!!!<P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
maldo

Post by maldo »

Replace your rad cap, it isn't holding pressure.
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

k got home (while back) and dropped off my friend...i turned the car off and nothing happend (not like this morning)....then after i drove to my house and pulled into the driveway all the coolant was spilling over....the coolant reservior got full (it was empty when the car was on) and because of the heat/pressure i could see it flexing(in and out)...well i get my water hose and pour water on the radiator and into the engine compartment and while it was cooling off(b/c of the water) the coolant was immediately sucked back into the the system....and ideas?????????<P><BR>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

anyone????<BR>]<P>aj
maldo

Post by maldo »

Spend the $10 and buy a new rad cap. Spend another $5 for a coolant tester, your mixture might be off for your climate. If this doesn't do it, you have at least eliminated something. You will have to try something in order to find out what it is/isn't. Can't give you any other advice than to start replacing the cheap parts, if that doesn't do it then start looking at the expensive parts.
pelado

Post by pelado »

Sounds to me like you have air pockets. Even if you have filled the radiator up to the pressure cap, it's not the highest point in the coolant system. The highest point is at the filler neck on the radiator hose above the timing cover.<P>Remove the pressure cap on the radiator. Remove the cap on the filler neck on the engine. Fill into this cap, when it overflows from the pressure cap, put it on. Notice the system still isn't full at the filler neck. Continue filling until the coolant is up to the filler neck cap, put it on. Make sure coolant reservoir is filled to low mark.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

thanks for all the help guys but in the morning i am goin to pick up my k8 at the shop and take my car back for them to check it out....btw i just got home from work(took my other car) and checked out my car...NO COOLANT!!!! there is no leaks as far as i can tell(none in the past couple of days)....so it must have all shot out, yes ALL, when i turned it off after i came home from school....it had been off for 4 hours...time enough to cool down...i turned it on and it worked fine till the thermostat opened up then i shut off till i added coolant....i am not going to mess with it anymore....this bites :mad: <P>oh yea no white smoke and no coolant in the oil!!! but still not enough [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>AJ
zevirii

Post by zevirii »

ghandi,<P>Did you flush the system out as they recommended when you hooked up the ZE? Kinda makes you wonder if something might be jammed in the flow passage in the engine or something... I really have no clue but thought I would just suggest this... :roll:
omar

Post by omar »

I think it is the K8 ECU that cause the overheat due to the lean burn. I have a KF 626 but upgraded to KLZE. I was using the KF ECU *with* KLZE EPROM for a year without overheating problem (except I got code 9 and funny AC). As I got tired with the AC and engine fan that run high all the time (due to code 9), I switch back to KF EPROM. Since then I am getting series of temperature problem (coolant overflow, leak radiator, overheat due to no coolant left). Tomorrow I am going to put back the KLZE EPROM on that KF ECU. My brother also have KF 626 upgraded to KLZE. He had many overheating problem when running with unmodified KF ECU on the KLZE. One day he got lucky and found one KL36 ECU, and now he no longer has any overheating problem with his KLZE. Unlucky me still looking for a KL36 ECU...
chance

Post by chance »

My mx had simuler syntoms about 10 min. before i decided i needed a new water pump. My car had been losing a lot of coolant but i hadn't seen any on the ground when ever i pulled away, i have a gravel driveway so i decided to put on my buddies concreete for awhile to see i got any dripage. after an hour or so there was nothing. so i started it up and let it run for awhile. when the thermostat kicked in and the fans came on, coolant stated shooting into my overflow jug, then proceded to fill it up and spew all over the ground, this stoped after a couple minutes and everything seemed fine untill sudenly coolant started pouring out of the water pump until the system was dry.<BR>I replaced the water pump (what a b----), flushed the coolant, filled it up and good as new.<BR>you could try running your car with the hood open to see what happens when the thermostat opens up. I hope some of this helps
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

yea i replaced(mechenics did) the water pump when the ze was out...might just get a kl36 ecu...maybe that will help....i just dont understand how some guys that have the 1.8 vaf and 1.8 ecu dont have this problem....<P>AJ
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

they took a temp of the coolant system...it read no higher than 210F (after the car was turned off for about a min).... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>AJ
omar

Post by omar »

Do you check the spark plug to see if there is sign of overheating/lean burn problem?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

hmm, I would lean towards an overheated environment. What I would do is drain the system. Make sure there is no coolant left in the lines. RE-mix the antifreeze and put it back in. Make sure the engine is running when you put it in. Also like people have said, replace the radiator cap. You may have had it replaced before, but it may be toast again.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”