MGK Universal Oxygen Sensors

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
richocet1

MGK Universal Oxygen Sensors

Post by richocet1 »

I am trying to install two NGK O2 sensors. I took the old one out, stripped the wires, and then noticed the old ones have four wires and the new ones have one.I twisted all four together and attached them to the sensor. The car wouldnt start. I then took the old one and connected it back, but the engine still wont start. i have checked to make sure the the wires are tight, the sensor is tightened, everythign is connected. What could be the problem?
You still can't touch my car!!!
chance

Re: MGK Universal Oxygen Sensors

Post by chance »

i don't know too much about it, but the reason there is for wires is because there is a built in heating unit to make them work on a cold engine when you first start, the car will run with no o2 sensor connected as long as you have something screwed into your manifold, it hurts gas mileage and its only a temperary fix because it can burn your valves out, or so i've heard
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

I tried starting it with the old one in, but it is still not starting.
You still can't touch my car!!!
pelado

Post by pelado »

First off, you got the wrong sensors. There are generic four wire O2 sensors made by NTK that work.<P>Second, twisting all four wires together was a bad idea. How could you possible expect it to work like that? You should have stopped as soon as you discovered the discrepancy between old and new.<P>What CEL's do you have (besides O2 sensors)?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
mfides

Post by mfides »

The reason for not to start is probably one burned fuse. You created a short circuit when twisted all four wires together as two of them are for the sensor heating and carry +B directly from the efi relay and ground. :eek: <BR>If you don't want to use four wire sensors then look at the shop manual and connect the single wire sensor to the signal wire from the wiring harness and protect each of the other three with insulation tape.<P>Hope it helps...<P>Miguel Fides <A HREF="http://mfides.dyndns.org/mx-3" TARGET=_blank>http://mfides.dyndns.org/mx-3</A>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”