Mazda 323 AWD rear subframe swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
WrenchMaster76

Mazda 323 AWD rear subframe swap

Post by WrenchMaster76 »

Ok, I know this should really be posted on the Suspension board, but I really want an answer to this question ASAP. <BR> I own a 94 MX-3 and have been studying the 323 AWD rear subframe and suspension setup, and I may be crazy, but after comparing the 2 rear crossmembers, I think the 323 AWD rear subframe will BOLT UP STOCK to my MX-3 chassis. All the transverse, lateral and trailing links are the same, and the rear crossmember mounting holes are an exact match, which makes me think that MX-3's got a 2wd 323's rear end setup, without the differential. This would mean that with a little chopping and some engineering, I can convert my FWD MX-3 to RWD! After the subframe is installed, I would need to tunnel the gas tank and put the splined-hub spindles on. A RWD (or possibly AWD if you've got a lot of time to kill) MX-3, hooked up to a 13B rotary, now that would be cool as hell. Does anyone have any info pertaining to this?
WrenchMaster76

Re: Mazda 323 AWD rear subframe swap

Post by WrenchMaster76 »

Come on, ya'll! I got a whole AWD tranny set waiting on Ebay and I ain't shelling out this kinda cash w/o some advice!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

you could remove the spare tire assembly and mount a gas tank in the spare tire hole as long as you vent in properly and make it safe IE. fuel cell for racing. :D
13.023 @ 105 mph
WrenchMaster76

Post by WrenchMaster76 »

I probably could go AWD because the tranny the 323 uses is a regular G25M-R with a bolt-on transfer case. The only thing is this: lots of horsepower + hard launches + AWD traction = broken gears. I would be perfectly happy just to have my back tires smoke and be able to hang the tail out sometimes.
93mx3gs

Post by 93mx3gs »

Hey WrenchMaster, have you found out any more info on this??? Will it work?
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

I believe the mx3 subframe is 1.2 inches longer have you double checked that? Im not trying to be a dissapointer but every project has its problems and you'd run into a lot with what your thinking of trying. But Id love to see that bro good luck!
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

tranny is good for 300hp<P>I think it will hold because you won't have wheel hop.<P>can the transfer case handle 300hp I know on the talon it has an internal fluid coupler which will overheat if stressed to much.<P>don't quote me on that but it is a possible problem. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
13.023 @ 105 mph

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”