VAF - correct name

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

VAF - correct name

Post by Custommx3 »

Settle an argument. Is a VAF a Vein air flow sensor or a Volume air flow sensor?
Mike 94PGT

Re: VAF - correct name

Post by Mike 94PGT »

Didn't we just have a thread arguing about this and the semantics of MAF/VAF comparisons?<P>A 'VAF', as used by Mazda in the MX-3, is a "Volume Air Flow" sensor. This site's own on-line shop manual calls it that and, FWIW, so does my 1994 Mazda MX6 shop manual and my 1993 Ford Probe shop manual.
Mike<BR>94 PGT <A HREF="http://home.golden.net/~trinity" TARGET=_blank>Codes, Maint, MAF, PCMs etc...</A><BR>Supermoderator, mx6.com
LiQuId

Post by LiQuId »

HAHAHAH.<P>So when will you be delivering that GS to us again? :D
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

if its not called a vane, then tell me what a vane air flow is scott :)<BR>its the same thing :)
LiQuId

Post by LiQuId »

vane Pronunciation Key (vn)<BR>n. <BR>A weathervane. <BR>Any of several usually relatively thin, rigid, flat, or sometimes curved surfaces radially mounted along an axis, as a blade in a turbine or a sail on a windmill, that is turned by or used to turn a fluid. <BR>The flattened, weblike part of a feather, consisting of a series of barbs on either side of the shaft. <P>The movable target on a leveling rod. <BR>A sight on a quadrant or compass. <BR>One of the metal guidance or stabilizing fins attached to the tail of a bomb or other missile.<P><BR>vol·ume Pronunciation Key (vlym, -ym)<BR>n. <P>A collection of written or printed sheets bound together; a book. <BR>One of the books of a work printed and bound in more than one book. <BR>A series of issues of a periodical, usually covering one calendar year. <BR>A unit of written material assembled together and cataloged in a library. <BR>A roll of parchment; a scroll. <BR>Abbr. V <BR>The amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object or region of space, expressed in cubic units. <BR><I>The capacity of such a region or of a specified container, expressed in cubic units.</I><P>Amount; quantity: a low volume of business; a considerable volume of lumber. <BR>A large amount. Often used in the plural: volumes of praise. <P>The amplitude or loudness of a sound. <BR>A control, as on a radio, for adjusting amplitude or loudness.<P>Also as Quoted from the Ford Technical Service CD-ROM<P> Image<p>[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: LiQuId ]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I would like to take this oppourtunity to remind everyone here, that Mike P is the man. If you have any doubts, check the link in his sig.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

You cant beat references like that LiQuId... :)<P>I have read Mikes article before, and I'm very impressed with his work. I wish him all the best with fine tuning and if he decides to market it. I know I'll be interested (if I dont make one first :))<P>Cheers<BR>Psyrg
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Mike 94PGT

Post by Mike 94PGT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>read this,...<BR><A HREF="http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pd ... ><P>You'll notice that document is (C)Toyota. What they choose to call their sensors is their own business. In their case, it seems that they are more interested in noting that the sensor shown operates much like a "wind vane" in that air movement causes a change in the position of a flapper door, not that the resulting output is proportional to volume flow.<P>Since this is a Mazda board, dealing primarily with the MX-3, I choose to reference "(C)Mazda" documentation - shop service manuals - that call it a Volume Air Flow sensor. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Mike<BR>94 PGT <A HREF="http://home.golden.net/~trinity" TARGET=_blank>Codes, Maint, MAF, PCMs etc...</A><BR>Supermoderator, mx6.com
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

in general terms they are 1 and the same, just different Proper Names by each corporation.<P>You call it potato<BR>Some call it a "petato"<BR>its still a "tater"
Mike 94PGT

Post by Mike 94PGT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><B>in general terms they are 1 and the same, just different Proper Names by each corporation.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Still, the Toyota doc refers to "volume" as the measured property as well, so technically, it's still a volume flow meter. You & I agree that it's proper naming semantics, but since we're focused on Mazda vehicles on this board, I'm not certain what searching around for other definitions of "VAF" - from other car makers - is accomplishing.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>You call it potato<BR>Some call it a "petato"<BR>its still a "tater"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B><P>Exactly, where:<P>- potato = Volume Air Flow<BR>- petato = Vane Air Flow<BR>- tater = device for measuring volume air flow<p>[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Mike 94PGT ]
mfides

Post by mfides »

Well, it seems that we have a normalized term in a SAE paper...<P>As a personal note (as we all know what are we talking about) I would like to mention that the flow sensor in the Mx-3 is not a flap style or karman sensor (both are volume based trasducers) as used by toyota or a hot wire type which is a direct mass transducer as used on more modern setups.<P>The prefered (generic) term is Volume Air-flow Sensor: <A HREF="http://mfides.dyndns.org/mx-3/sae/j1930_26.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://mfides.dyndns.org/mx-3/sae/j1930_26.jpg</A> <P>Miguel Fides

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”