should i have bought this???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ghandi1981

should i have bought this???

Post by ghandi1981 »

i was talking to one of my friends and he said that i shouldnt have bought a lighter flywheel(9lbs) for the ze b/c I will not get any real use out of daily driving...is that true?<P>also does the stainless steel clutch line that rr-racing sells compatible witht the mx-3?? i spoke to the owner and he wasnt quite sure that it did.<P>thanks<P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
lazzyie

Re: should i have bought this???

Post by lazzyie »

depends it will make driving your car more difficult but it shouldnt really be an issue just something to get used to, some say it helps on hookup, it helps to get more weight off of the engine though to, just dont abuse your car and you should be cool!
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Well, Im no expert. But I think your friend is wrong. I lightened flywheel improves acceleration. Any decrease in weight on the drivetrain (spinning - mechanical parts), decreases the amount of power loss from engine to wheels. Also lighter rims and tires have the same effect. And since all you can really do is accelerate fast and then slow down and do this over and over in everyday driving......
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

will i have any driving problems....i.e. when stop and go driving???? how hard is it to shift with one of these??<P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Im sorry, this may be "hear-say" but I recall hearing that rpms tend to drop a good deal faster, sometimes causes the car to almost stall....after a good rev. I dont believe this personally, but it could be true - if you think of it this way. Less weight on the flywheel has lass spinning force...therefore slows down quicker... Anyone else?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
WrenchMaster76

Post by WrenchMaster76 »

Yeah, that's right. The purpose of the alum. flywheel is to decrease the weight of the flywheel, thereby decreasing rotational drag on the crankshaft. This will make the engine rev faster, as well as drop revs faster because the alum. flywheel doesn't have as much rotational inertia to keep the revs going. I was always kinda good in physics.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Yes these guys are right, also the stainless clutch line will work on our cars.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

The problem lies in the lighter aluminum flywheel not having enough energy, built up by inertia, to transfer to the wheels. You'll have a little difficulty coming out of a light unless you rev before you go (which could spin your tires when you don't want them to) or you ease out the clutch and slowly increase your revs.
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

damn so i shouldnt have bought the flywheel for the ze huh???<P><BR>AJ
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Most of the guys I know with the Fidanza FW simply love it. I have heard no complaints once they have it.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

thanks david :D :D :D <P>AJ

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”