Gas tank overflow?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
red-mx3

Gas tank overflow?

Post by red-mx3 »

Does anyone know, if the gas tank is overfilled will it leak? Yeah, i'm an idiot, but gas prices went down and I got a little overzealous and overfilled the tank. I went into the garage and smelled gas, looks like it leaked from the top of the tank and then dripped around the bottom, can't tell exactly where at the top it's hard to see.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Re: Gas tank overflow?

Post by johnnyb »

never heard of a tank overfilling and spilling<p>it may be leaky gasket on the sending unit.
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

is our tank supposed to be vented??? I take the cap off and get a whoosh of air. So the engine is havin a hard time cukin gas with a vacuam in there. Now I drive with the cap loose, which CAN'T be good for moisture and that stuff. And info?
red-mx3

Post by red-mx3 »

Well, I drove around a bit till the float started moving the needle when going uphill, around turns etc. and the leak stopped. I could hear a hissing sound when I got back while under the car checking for the leak (air being sucked in by the tank). Yeah the tank creates a bit of vacuum as it empties, when the cap is removed you get a wooosh sound, anyway I removed the cap, got the woosh and the hiss stopped.<p>Sooo, there is either a leak at the top of the tank, or there is a pressure valve that opens, which could leak gas if the tank is overfilled (???).
chrisboden

Post by chrisboden »

1. The suction is normal, and healthy. Leave your cap on, engineers have spent quite a while making sure it works fine with the cap in place.<p>2. If you fill the tank, then drive a week, and open the cap and hear a Woosh, you're not leaking gas :) Since, if it's holding a vacuum, it's holding Gas.
Christopher "Duck" Boden
President/C.E.O.
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup.org
Because the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”