Coil question, swap related

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Coil question, swap related

Post by Guest »

ok so i went and picked up my ze today finally after it being stuck in costoms for 3 weeks its in sweet shape alittle dirty but no real surface rust. one thing i had never noticed and even reed anywhere (belive i tried serching for this already and couldn;t find any answears so now i am posting) is that the ze is an external coil, i was wonderin what everyone else did to remidy this problem. my 1.8 disty is shot so i can;t use that as for an external coil can i just use a kl-03 one are they even external coil? kinda worried now as i will be starting this tomorrow
RayRay

Re: Coil question, swap related

Post by RayRay »

The kl03 and the k8 use the same internal coil ditributor.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

buy a remanufactured disty from autozone or something, for a 93 probe gt 2.5 its like a $150, as for the external coil some people on probetalk hook up an msd box but that is something i have et to figure out how to do. Good luck.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

Jeff Abrams' has some info about the conversion to an external coil on his site.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mazdamaniac.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazdamaniac.com/</A>
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'd just use a KL01 disty, or the later KLY1 disty. Much simpler, unless you wanted to go to an aftermarket external coil setup like a MSD.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I am using the stock ze distributor with a crane cams cd ignition and an ps-92 external coil.<P>Did you get the part of the ze wiring harness on your distributor. If you did, this connector will have only 4 wires (the 1.8 or 2.5 disty will have more) You need to connect those four wires to a pn??? transistor and a 1k resistor and also to a ignition system and then to an external coil.<P>This is much cleaner setup than doing what I think Jeff Ahbrams (?) did by modifying his distributor cap becouse the ze distributor has the output for a coil. You also have to make sure you connect the correct spark plug wires to the correct spark towers becouse the order is different on the ze distributor.<P>Hope this helps. I did this conversion and I think it made a big diff, no hesitations pulls strong all the way to redline and better gas mileage.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Post by Guest »

thanks eveyone for your reply, i am not sure what i am gonna do right now probally the cheapest route since i pretty broke but ya tim i do have those 4 wires comin out of the disty but if the swaping to kl-o3 disty is cheaper i am probally just gonna do that
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

so what would be the best distributor to use with the ze.( the 1.8 or the klze, or kl03)
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

I'm using the 1.8 distributor. I was told to use that one because I have a Corksport ecu upgrade.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”