Diagnostic Error Codes???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sonicxtacy02

Diagnostic Error Codes???

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Ok i pulled codes from my car over the weekend and i was looking for input as to what i may need to do to fix. The first code was for the R02 inversion, i'm pretty sure that means i need to replace my oxygen sensor in the rear. The second code was 41 which i believe is the VRIS solenoid #1. Does that need to be replaced or is there something else i would need to look at?
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
lazzyie

Re: Diagnostic Error Codes???

Post by lazzyie »

inversion you can just clean it i believe, my vris solenoid was fine when i pulled the other one it was just the vac tube that ripped so you might try checking that...
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Don't you need a reader to read the codes on an MX3? That's what I've been told, although I haven't bothered to look. <P>fisaza@directvinternet.com
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG>Don't you need a reader to read the codes on an MX3? That's what I've been told, although I haven't bothered to look. <P>fisaza@directvinternet.com</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You should bother to look in the V6 FAQ forum, because it has a how to on checking your own codes.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Thanks, newbie here.
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Oh cool! I actually had looked over the V6 FAQ previously, but I didn't realize that you had to change it to "Show all Topics" to see all the FAQ's. Looks like I have more reading to do! Thanks again
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Ok, so the FAQ answered a lot of questions. I being more used to Hondas (sorry), was used to an LED on the ECU for error codes. Now that I learned how to read the error codes on my 93 GS, you just know I couldn't wait to go out in the driveway and check it out. Based on that I have a few questions:<P>First of all, how many error codes can be stored at once by the ECU? Does it show the last few error codes generated regardless of duplicates? Or does it only store the same code once?<P>Second of all, and more importantly, I am get an 02 code which is "'NE2' crankshaft position sensor". The CEL has showed up a few times recently, at maybe 1 out of 50 startups. It usually only stays on for a minute after startup, and usually turning the ignition off and back on again clears it without it reappearing after that. Anyone ever have this problem?<P>Thanks,<BR>fisaza@directvinternet.com
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG><P>First of all, how many error codes can be stored at once by the ECU? Does it show the last few error codes generated regardless of duplicates? Or does it only store the same code once?<P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It can store as many codes as neccessary but i believe some codes are not memorized. As for your second question, i dont really understand it. If you're asking if you check the codes, get out of diag, check the codes again, will it still show the original stored codes. If so.. the answer is yes.
Shaun Newman
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Maybe it'll be easier to understand if I explain my situation better.<P>Currently my CEL is not indicating a problem, but it has in the past. I just checked it last night and it's blinking code '02'. So, this means that even though the problem isn't currently happening, the ECU remembers it from whenever it occurred before. <P>What if I had multiple problems that generated multiple different errors in the past? I want to know if I can be sure that this '02' code is the only error generated ever since my ECU was last reset, which I assume happens after a minute or so of disconnecting the battery.<P>Thanks
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

I just read what I typed and figured out an even better way to relay what I'm looking for.<P>Suppose I let my brother whack my car around with a hammer so bad that my car has every single problem known to man. All the sensors are now thouroughly smashed. :)<P>In diag-mode, would my CEL (assuming that *it* still worked) sit there and blinkity-blinkity each and every single error-code? <P>Would it still remember each and every one of those codes until such time as the ECU is reset?<BR> <BR>Thanks
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG>I just read what I typed and figured out an even better way to relay what I'm looking for.<P>Suppose I let my brother whack my car around with a hammer so bad that my car has every single problem known to man. All the sensors are now thouroughly smashed. :)<P>In diag-mode, would my CEL (assuming that *it* still worked) sit there and blinkity-blinkity each and every single error-code? <P>Would it still remember each and every one of those codes until such time as the ECU is reset?<BR> <BR>Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i'm still a bit lost... If the problem was no longer present but the ecu still stored to code, couldnt you just reset the ecu to remove it? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shaun Newman
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

yes, resetting the ECU, removes all CEL codes and resets it to the factory defaults. I believe it switches it to "learning mode", but thats just theory.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

thanks for clearing that up barry
Shaun Newman
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

While researching the '02' error code stored on my ECU from the past, I ran across something that relates to what I was asking before.<P>According to this site, there are some codes that are not memorized: <A HREF="http://www.sof.ws/probeaudio/checkengine.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sof.ws/probeaudio/checkengine.html</A> <P>I tried to copy & paste the chart but it doesn't come out to well. You'll have to check the site to see what I mean.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”