a/c prob?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valkyire

a/c prob?

Post by valkyire »

hey, just one quick question, the other day i went out to my car and the sunroof wouldnt open and the a/c wouldnt get cold. i pulled out the fuses ( all of them ) to see if any were blown, they were not. then i tried it again and the s/r and the a/c worked fine.<P> about a three days ago or so, just a little before my clutch went out, the a/c stopped working again ( this time pulling the fuses didnt do anything) , so i went to auto zone and recharged it, and nothing happened, it still wont get cold. is there anything else that i can check for before i take it to a shop? Also, when i turn the a/c on, it makes a buzzing sound, if that means anything.. thanks a lot! You guys are always a big help!! ;)
pelado

Re: a/c prob?

Post by pelado »

Where's the buzzing sound coming from, under the dash or under the hood?<BR>Does the fan work?<BR>Does the compressor clutch engage? Listen for a click close to the compressor when the engine is running and you turn on the A/C.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
valkyire

Post by valkyire »

pelado,the buzzing is coming from under the hood, not sure if fan works, but car never runs hot or anything, and there is a little click when the ac is turned on..
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by valkyire:<BR><STRONG>hey, just one quick question, the other day i went out to my car and the sunroof wouldnt open and the a/c wouldnt get cold. i pulled out the fuses ( all of them ) to see if any were blown, they were not. then i tried it again and the s/r and the a/c worked fine.<P> about a three days ago or so, just a little before my clutch went out, the a/c stopped working again ( this time pulling the fuses didnt do anything) , so i went to auto zone and recharged it, and nothing happened, it still wont get cold. is there anything else that i can check for before i take it to a shop? Also, when i turn the a/c on, it makes a buzzing sound, if that means anything.. thanks a lot! You guys are always a big help!! ;)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I cant say that I've heard about this problem before, BUT when I had troubles with my radio, the clock and several other thigs stoped working due to problems with the fuses.<BR>My point with this is: Which fuses did you check ? Coz besides the box by the driver there are more in the engineroom. Have you checked them as well ?<BR>(The problem with my car was a fuse on the battery that had burned over, but with the ends close enough to leave a little power through)
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by valkyire:<BR><STRONG>pelado,the buzzing is coming from under the hood, not sure if fan works, but car never runs hot or anything, and there is a little click when the ac is turned on..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fan could be checked without a/c running but it doesn't seem to be your problem.<P>Can you locate the general area of the buzzing?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

Sounds to me like the buzzing may be a bad compessor clutch. Also I think what pelado is saying is that it could be your secondary fan as well. It's connected to your A/C switch and SHOULD turn on when you turn your A/C on. But we need more info on symptoms. When idling, turn your A/C switch on. Do you notice a loss of power or RPMs? If not then your clutch is bad. If the fan doesn't come on then there is a problem with that. Either the fan motor is bad (which would explain the buzzing), the fan has become disconnected somehow, or there's a problem with the switch. W/B so we can help.
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
valkyire

Post by valkyire »

i checked all the fuses, even the ones under the hood, they were all fine. The engine does idle a little lower when i turn the ac on, and the buzzing is coming from the front end of my car around the radiator and to the left, away from the battery. hope this helps. my car is in the shop now, getting the clutch replaced, but i'll go out there and see what i can find out about the fan.. thanks a lot guys!
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Quzai5 is right.<P>It may be that the second cooling fan(the one nearest the compreser) is no good, or that the plastic fan has broken off of the motor. with out this fan the A/C system will work but it will not be cold.<P>just turn on the a/c and that fan should be turning.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”